squirrel issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
so i have a few 2nd year plants and the 2 of the plants are growing great right now, there both centennial. but one of my problem is that squirrels keep chewing at my lines that i have the hops climbing up. so today i came home and the hop vines were on the ground because the squirrels wanted the string for there next... its been kida a pain in the ass spent the last hour running new lines for 4 plants on a trellis.

any ideas how to keep them away from the string?

Maybe a sign ?? :D

fc,550x550,white.jpg

the gun wont work i have a few but i live in city limits and i don't want to shoot through the squirrel and hit the neighbors house i don't think they would like that. i do have a dog and they stay at about 10feet up on the trellis and just look at the dog when its barking at them there not afraid of him at all. if i use a thin wire will ill need to wrap the line around it so the vines can grab onto something right? is there a repellant that i can spray on the line that they don't like the taste of or anything like that?

i might have to print the sign out im sure that will help. thanks

Set a trap.

Edit: if you use the red ryder bb gun like in the picture it absolutely wont shoot through the squirrel. I'd be more worried of even hitting it at all lol. Obviously if you didn't live in the city limits I'd say 12 gauge shotgun...

Set a trap.

Edit: if you use the red ryder bb gun like in the picture it absolutely wont shoot through the squirrel. I'd be more worried of even hitting it at all lol. Obviously if you didn't live in the city limits I'd say 12 gauge shotgun...

i was thinking of useing my 12 gadge with a 1.5oz slug but it might be a little over kill not sure

The problem with the 12 gauge is it will make a hellatious noise which worries the neighbors and has them dialing 9-1-1 post haste.

How about a little pump-action air rifle? You can get sugar BBs for them, so they actually dissolve (over time!) if you miss.

It won't kill the squirrels but it sure lets 'em know that they're not welcome!

Just leave a mess of string out for them to build their nest. Why would they bother messing with your string if they have a giant ball of easier-to-get string to use?

hmm so just leave a big ball of string out then hide some were with BB gun, ill have to go get one of those, i dont think the fire arms i have would work for this, well they would kill the squirrel but i dont want to be in jail for shooting the the house next door house. ill just tell my wife we are having chicken out of the crock-pot im if there is enough wine in there it will be fine :D

Fishing hooks? Use a squirrel 2.0 and bait it with bread. When you get them you can either have a meal or leave them to decay and fertilize the hops! Just kidding I would never do that!

i took some old CD'sdrilled a hole in the edge and hang them around the garden. the flashing of the light off of them scares the squirells away worked for birds too on my strawberries

He came back again. Frustrating. I got some steel wire cable that he can chew on.

Ya I got to swich all the tops if my lines to steel cabel. That way the squirrel can get to it

I told you to use a cannon didn't I? Should listened, now they think you're just there for their entertainment. Lol

Try soaking the twine in a mixture of cayenne pepper and water then let them dry. I know painting a cayenne pepper paste on the undersides of rose leaves keeps the deer away. Something similar might keep the squirrels away.

i was thinking of useing my 12 gadge with a 1.5oz slug but it might be a little over kill not sure

ya ok so it might be a little loud, its in the basement, and i could always use a smaller caliber like a .22 but whats the fun in that :D

Deer-Off spray supposedly works for squirrels too.
I picked some up but haven't tried it yet. Already tried pepper flakes and buried chicken wire last year, which haven't worked.

Back