quick hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truble

Reaction score
First time using whole hops this weekend. How much should I use? Anyone have a conversion method for whole hops versus pellets?

thx in advance

an oz is an oz is an oz.. just that whole are a lot bigger and take up more space. you'll also benefit from boiling whole hops longer, say 90 minutes instead of sixty for bittering.

have fun :)

you get higher utilization from pellet hops. (They are ground up and have higher surface area than the same amount of whole hops.)

Most guidelines I have seen that that 1 oz of whole hops = 0.85 oz of pellet hops.

-walker

Cool-so it is not so far out that you really need to be anal about it. Thx.

Which now reminds me that I need to get a scale....

i usually use 10% more with whole hops. but i formulate recipes through pro-mash and you can change the hop type from pellet to whole, so i just shoot for the IBU range i want without worrying about the conversion. if you are using someone elses recipe which uses pellet you might as well bump it up 10%.

A vigorous, rolling boil is even more important with whole hops than with pellets. The oils in hops responsible for bittering aren't all that soluble, so the physical action of the wort is important in utilization. Cheers! :D

I use a propane burner setup with partial wort boils, so rolling action is not a problem. Sometimes, keeping it calm (READ:BOILOVER) is a problem!:D

I am excited to get my hands on the whole hops tonight though!

Whole hops are the best. I think you'll really like them.

After all, I didn't take the roses I gave my wife for Valentines Day and powder them, then compress them into pellets. ;)

Cheers :D

Janx said:
Whole hops are the best. I think you'll really like them.

After all, I didn't take the roses I gave my wife for Valentines Day and powder them, then compress them into pellets. ;)

but, did you put them into a beverage?

-walker

This was the first year that I didn't get my wife flowers for V-Day....and it was at her request. In her words-

"...I can think of a bunch of other things we can spend $100 on..."

and I cannot fault that logic.

I am happy about the whole hops. If they work out, it will be good, since I am getting them for about $6 cheaper per pound than my LHBS. The woman is trying to find out what other kinds she can get. This order is just Cascade.

I just brewed 2 batches on Wed. using both pellet and whole/ leaf hops. I think the leaf hops are better. I ate a couple of leaves to tase them ansd get an idea about flavor and the leaf hops were more flavorful and much more bitter than the pellets. Plus the leaf hops dont make a freaking mess every where.

Back