Teaching Homebrew Class

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModernDayNord

Reaction score
I've been asked to teach an introductory brewing class for a fundraiser for the chemical engineering dept at TN Tech. How in the world do I cover everything a beginning brewer needs to know in just an hour???

For the record, I'm honored that I'm remembered for it (and my beer) 4 and half years after I graduated.

Just cover the basics. You don't need to go into detail. Start with ingredients in beer, explain what enzmes and what the mash does , explian the boil and hop additions. Then what the yeast do. Try not to go off on a tangent about any specific process, that could eat up a lot of time.

I would also include a bunch of handouts that goes into more detail than you possibly could in only 1 hour. I wouldn't spare any details since it is for a bunch of chemical engineers. They probably don't need it "dumbed down"!!!

Take a look at this link.

http://blog.beeriety.com/2009/07/06/how-beer-is-made/

Use it for a basic outline and just fill in the details to the degree you feel is proper.

You can add info dealing with the equipment needed to begin brewing then go to ingredients:
Types of extracts
Types of grains
Types of yeasts
Types of hops
Finings and on and on..

Kegging / bottling

bosco

I was thinking along most of those lines. Start with ingredients, then a discussion of styles, then a basic step-through of a typical brew day (probably geared towards extract brewers).

I also have tons of Northern Brewer catalogs I've accumulated because for some reason I can't throw them away, so I'll probably give them away to anyone who desires.

Handout a glossary of common brewing terms, and a list of recommended reading. Go over the glossary with the class briefly. Maybe bring in an extract with steeping grains kit, and run them through the basics of a brew day. Bring in some various malts and hops, and let the students taste/smell them. Leave plenty of time for questions.

Back