Brewing over 200 gal. limit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't make beer.. Just a hell of a lot of wort.. and then I eat some yeast separately.. I like the farts.. and the foam...

The only time I have 'ever' fermented wort, is those two carboys over there, and those three cornys over there, and well, those cornys in the kegerator.. But I don't actually even drink those.. I just wanted to see what would happen if I actually put the yeast in the wort.. Did it three years ago.. It's just been 'conditioning' ever since...

and that coffee can full of one and five dollar bills?.. I get donations for great advice....

All those people were druk before they got here... I'm just keeping them here so they don't go anywhere and hurt themselves... especially those half undressed teeny boppers over there...

I swear, ossifer!

what a ****ing ridiculous law. Sure BMC and ATF were all over that one.

I mean REALLY? are they going to limit how many loaves of bread I can make? lol i mean seriously dude. Why are you even worried about that? And then people vote for bigger government in 2008. lol COME ON.

You know what i say? If they are able to find out how much you are brewing without you telling them then we got a HUGE problem in this country, as it implies our right to privacy and probably our personal property rights are being trampled on.

And that's just unacceptable. keep your mouth shut and brew whatever the **** you want.

THis is a stupid law. So is the one where they ticket you for having a GPS on your windshield. Has anyone seen the kind of vision blocking effect a SUN SHADE HAS. lol Its FAR more dangerous. And dont come back and argue that is the "paying attention to the screen" that's dangerous, because they let you pay attention to the screen if its on the dashboard....

just another example of dumb ass big government telling us what we can and cant do. With draconian laws that really make no logical sense. And then they hire people to enforce them who wont question them. I dont get it.

Sorry for the rant, but i think you should brew what you want and don't tell anyone, just in case. But i think that your risk is minimal. Unless you have pesky nosy neighbors watching your every move and calculating your batch totals and then dime on you to the cops.. lol then again i say PROVE IT *****!

what a ****ing ridiculous law. Sure BMC and ATF were all over that one.

I mean REALLY? are they going to limit how many loaves of bread I can make? lol i mean seriously dude. Why are you even worried about that? And then people vote for bigger government in 2008. lol COME ON.

Please leave politics to the appropriate forums. Neither party gives a rat's ass about homebrewing.

There are lots of laws on the books that are not enforced or just so s dated In SC it's legal to beat your wife on Sundays on the courthouse steps.

thanks OP, way to draw attention to the fact that half of us have freaking breweries in our basements. sure, Barney Fife's out there in your driveway with night vision goggles watching how many HBs you slam every single day of the year, and he's keeping count!

Why must people continue to talk about this? Brew what you are going to brew and let it be. The best way to keep under the radar is to stop running your mouth.

agreed! brew what you want. if you go over the limit, you go over; just don't make a big scene of it and you won't get caught. :mug:

It DOES NOT matter if you go over the limit!! I have yet to find a single case anywhere where a homebrewer was fined/prosecuted for brewing over the limit. It is not worth the TTB/ABC's limited resources to go after a homebrewer who brewed "over limit". I am not even convinced they care if you sell it. By "caring" I mean actually launch an investigation and try to prosecute you.

Phunhog said:
It DOES NOT matter if you go over the limit!! I have yet to find a single case anywhere where a homebrewer was fined/prosecuted for brewing over the limit. It is not worth the TTB/ABC's limited resources to go after a homebrewer who brewed "over limit". I am not even convinced they care if you sell it. By "caring" I mean actually launch an investigation and try to prosecute you.

There are plenty of examples of people getting busted for selling beer without a license; why would homebrew be an exception? If you all you mean is that you can fly under the radar and probably get away with it on a small scale, you are certainly correct. But, in that case, how is selling homebrew different from anything else illegal?

Regarding the volume limits, I asked a few cop friends out of curiosity what it would take to get busted on something like this. They said they wouldn't initiate investigations on these lines just for the heck of it, but would possibly need to investigate if they got complaints. If you want to make wads of homebrew, don't piss off your neighbors.

I certainly agree that nobody is actively tracking your or my pipeline output, but to suggest that the law is without consequence is bad advice in my book.
"Proof" is a lot easier to constitute than many people seem to think.

Separately, the old "sell the cup, not the beer" chestnut is completely ineffective, and I'd bet somebody learns this fact the hard way every fall in every college town in America. :mug:

If you want to make wads of homebrew, don't piss off your neighbors.

Good point. In fact, I better carry over some six packs to them tonight... oh wait nevermind that's also illegal. Eh, I'll carry it in a paper bag, who will know?

Good point. In fact, I better carry over some six packs to them tonight... oh wait nevermind that's also illegal. Eh, I'll carry it in a paper bag, who will know?

Why is it illegal to carry a sixpack of homebrew to your neighbors house. I don't think that is illegal, at least not in my state.

I only brew 200 gallons a year and will never change my story EVER.
if friends want to help with the cost of making homebrew, I tell them to go buy a bag of 2 row and leave it outside my door.
X-Mass happens a lot,, or grain fairies are real

and LHBS do not track grain sales, and even if so the Gov. doesn't know if you making barely wine or 3.2 piss beer

I only brew 200 gallons a year and will never change my story EVER.
if friends want to help with the cost of making homebrew, I tell them to go buy a bag of 2 row and leave it outside my door.
X-Mass happens a lot,, or grain fairies are real

and LHBS do not track grain sales, and even if so the Gov. doesn't know if you making barely wine or 3.2 piss beer

.....and just b/c you buy the supplies doesn't mean you make the beer that day, a month from that day, a year from that day, or ever.....so it would be difficult to prove based on that.

Back