American Pale Ale Crazy Canuck Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelastleroy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
prior slurry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
~65
Color
SRM 4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Keg 4 days on gas, gelatin
Tasting Notes
Big beautiful golden ale
This is an "original" recipe of mine; this has probably been made at least a few times on purpose, and even more frequently by accident by a few of you brewers over the years.... but I like the results, so here we go:

10 # OiO 2-row Canadian
2 # Light Munich
1# Vienna
0.25 # CaraFoam

Mash water/Grain ratio approx "standard" 1.25qt/lb, usually about 16L @ 165°f strike

Single infusion mash @ high 140's (147°-149°) for 70 minutes, begin lautering/sparge to pre-boil volume (~7gal), resulting in approx 90mins total mash time

80 min boil, 10 min flameout/whirlpool "pause"

Hops schedule/Kettle additions:

1oz Northern Brewer 60 mins
1oz Northern Brewer 20 mins
1oz Cascade 20 mins
1tbsp Irish Moss 10 mins
0.5oz Northern Brewer at flameout/whirlpool
0.5oz Cascade at flameout/whirlpool

Cool wort and pitch yeast at 18°c/64.4f

Ferment 7 days @ 18°c/64.4°f

Dry hop 1oz Northern Brewer 2 days

Crash cool to 3°c/37.4°f

transfer to keg, begin carbonation, refrigerate @ 3°c/37.4°f 1 day

Combine 1 tsp gelatin in 1 cup water, microwave in 15 second intervals until clear, add to keg, purge, shake like hell, continue carbonation for 2 days.

Pour off 1/2 pint, enjoy your Crazy Canuck!

One of my faves!!!

They recently dropped "Crazy" from the title, though. I wonder why?

This isn't a copy of the Great Lakes brewery beer. I must have "named" this recipe subconsciously, I literally tried the GLB Crazy Canuck 3 weeks ago 😨 . What would be interesting is if they actually taste similar...to be continued.

Is there a way to edit the title of a thread?

This isn't a copy of the Great Lakes brewery beer. I must have "named" this recipe subconsciously, I literally tried the GLB Crazy Canuck 3 weeks ago 😨 . What would be interesting is if they actually taste similar...to be continued.

Is there a way to edit the title of a thread?

Dunno about a thread rename but really, this recipe would turn out something damn close to the GLB beer in my opinion. GLB taste is pure cascade and WLP001/S-05 to me.

Cheers anyways! :mug:

Latest posts

Back