4 C's IPAs and APAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
So I'm working on formulating a 4 C IPA and another 4 C APA. You know, something very American and quite fruity. I've spent a while searching on here for these so called "4 C" brews with little success. Anyone have any good recipes to recomend? I'm working on one now I'll post soon, I'd just like some influence. By 4 C's I mean Cascade, Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial. Thanks! :D

Ben

C'mon guys, I know I've seen them. 4 C's? You know what I'm, talking about...

Here are the two recipes I'm looking at. I brewed this one on Thursday, my day off:

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
IBU: 38
ABV: 5.0%

8.5 lb American Two Row
0.5 lb Munich
0.5 lb Crystal 20

0.25 oz Chinook 60 min
0.25 oz Centennial 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade 20 min
0.25 oz Columbus 5 min
0.5 oz Cascade 5 min
1 oz Cascade FO

WLP 001

And here's the second recipe, one I'm tinkering with for Tuesday or Thursday. I guess it's technically more of a 4C + A IPA, with the Amarillo. I figure its the five Northwestern Citrus hops.

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.7
IBU: 59

9.25 lb Two Row
0.5 lb Crystal 20
0.5 lb Carapils
0.5 lb Munich

1/3 oz Chinook 60 min
1/3 oz Centennial 60 min

1/4 oz Cascade 20 min
1/4 oz Amarillo 20 min
1/4 oz Columbus 20 min

1/2 oz Amarillo 5 min
1/2 oz Cascade 5 min
1/4 oz Columbus 5 min
1/4 oz Centennial 5 min

1/2 oz Cascade FO
1/4 oz Amarillo FO
1/4 oz Columbus FO
1/ oz Centennial FO

Too complicated? Too much emphasis on Amaillo and Cascade? Not enough on the 4 Cs? What to do for Dry Hops??

Anyways, that's what I'm thinking. I'd appreciate some 4 C feedback, thanks!
-Ben

Now now, just wait. We just needed to think about it. I like the amarillo alot. It goes very good with cascade. I just made 10 gallons of APA with amarillo and cascade and it smells very very citrusy, it is going to be great and by looking at your recipe i would tell you that it is going to be good too. Brew it and let us know!

Its not 4c's...but its too damn good not to recommend. Its a great IPA, my favorite so far. I ended up with a crappy efficiency due to a bad grain crush...so I think I started at 1.055 ish and ended at 1.012, which i think is about 5.5% abv ( I was originally shooting for about 7.8%abv)

India Pale Ale
All grain Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 23 HCU (~13 SRM)
Bitterness: 93 IBU
mashed at 153 ish

Grain:
3 lb. American 2-row
8 lb. Maris Otter
1.25 lb. American victory
.5 lb. Belgian biscuit
1.25 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
2 oz. American chocolate

Hops:
1.5 oz. Chinook (12% AA, 60 min.)
.75 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 25 min.)
.75 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 25 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 10 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 10 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (aroma)
1 oz. Centennial (aroma)
1 oz. Amarillo (aroma)

edit: dry hopped with 1oz amarillo and 1oz cascade over 2.5 weeks ( i cant remember if it was dry hopped with all amarillo or amarillo and cascade, forgot to write it down...)

I have a chinook + centennial + amarillo sitting in my secondary. At transfer to secondary, I dry hopped with some amarillo. Tasted greate. I smelled it the other day, and the amarillos are in the air.

Needless to say, you're on the right track.

I like the burton ale strain from white labs for the fruityness, if thats what your after. I just did a 10 gal batch of IPA with a 3 c combo and pitched burton ale on 5 and 001 Cali on the other 5. The burton ale came out tasting like citrus pear juice, the 001 came out like an all american nuetral IPA. Just a thought !

Back