Unwanted house guest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Hunt that biatch like he's Moby Dick and you are Ahab!

• Have Spawn #3 cook supper and leave a plate out. He'll leave.

• Live and let live. Mice need love, too. He'll leave when it gets nice out.

• Borrow Yeagers77's dog. The mouse will hurt himself laughing and go to the hospital.

Results are only viewable after voting.
We got mice again a season or two after our cat passed away. I'm considering getting another cat, but in the meantime, It's sort of a war here. My wife is very afraid of mice so it's kind of fun for me.

I've tried several traps of various types over the past few weeks and have had zero luck with the live trap that catches multiple mice. I've caught a few in the single live trap which works with a balanced tube.

I also bought a pair of black clamshell-style killing traps that I love. They are even better than the old Victor clamshells I used to love. I can't remember the brand name, but they are black and you just pinch the lever back and it locks in place. The bait it placed in the small cup on the other end, and the trigger surrounds the bait. There is much more leverage on these traps than the old style trigger, and the mouse can spring it from any direction. To release dead mouse, just pinch the back again and it drops out and the trap is set again and ready. So easy, so fast, so deadly.

We actually caught two small ones in the live trap and placed them in the kid's pet mouse cage, but they managed to climb out through the screen on top, which I thought was too big, but the first one lived in that cage for two days before the second one was caught. Then they both decided to play Houdini and get out.

I'd like to get a havahart trap to play with, but they are kind of pricey just to play with. There are all sorts of homemade trap devices you can build that either catch them live, or drown them. Most I've seen are variations of balance traps.

I usually use the spring trap method with peanut butter. The traps that work best for me are the ones with the plastic cheese trigger. Another option is to get a bottle of mad dog and have a wine tasting party for them. They gorge themselves on it and die of alcohol poisoning.
We had a pesky raccoon a while back and gave him a bowl. The next morning, the bowl was empty and we never saw him again.

WTF, were you living in a sewer?:p;)

NO, the house was old and had been empty for 2 months. It was the end of my school program in another month and the place I had been renting had been sold and I was offered this place for a couple of months.

It's fairly unsettling when you walk into the kitchen and see a 4 foot long mouse train scurrying along the counter. :eek:

I thought I was going to be eaten in my sleep.

Oh and the place had a cat. They can't kill 'em all. And if you see one mouse, then you probably have 16.

Poison, Poison, Posion!

Oh great, another PTN druck at 1 in the afternoon thread that no one gets! Does anyone else sense a theme here?

1417455785_1697d2608f.jpg

Admiral Ackbar only uses Victory Mousetraps for his mousecatching needs.

mousetrap.jpg

The springs can snap bones and pens. No mouse can repel the force created at that magnitude!

You guys may sic PETA on me for this, but I gotta tell you a mouse story from a few years ago:

We were wiring a remodel at a local Wal-Mart, and we found a mouse caught in a sticky-trap, still alive. Somebody got the bright idea to perform an execution. We took the mouse to the nearest EDC (Wal-mart acronym for Electrical Distribution Center) and set up our own mouse-sized electric chair. We tied one wire to his tail, made a little skull cap out of another wire, and hooked the wires to a 30A breaker in the 480v panel in the EDC. The foreman threw the switch , and the mouse was fried to a crisp. I laughed so hard I damn near pi$$ed myself. I'm prolly going to spend a few extra years in purgatory for that one..............

Back