Partial Mash Raspberry wheat recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digphish

Reaction score
So I went to my LHBS and told them I wanted to make a partial-mash raspberry wheat beer, and they helped me put together a recipe. However, it doesn't look right to me. I would like to get some feedback. Here is what I have:

1lb Munich
3lb German Pilsner
3lb White Wheat
5lb wheat DME
1oz tettanang (60 min)
1oz Saaz (15 min)
add raspberry flavoring at kegging
Yeast: WL380 (hefe), english ale WL004, WL029 Koelsch, or dry?
Does this sound like too much grain or DME?

I've done a couple of partial mash kits from midwest which have included about 5 lbs of grain each and 3.3 lbs of LME. I was just going to go to my local brew store today and make my owne recipe based on those guidlines. unfortunately I don't know how my first to kits have turned out yet because they are still fermenting but from all the pre made partial mash kits I've seen they've only had a couple pounds less grain and less Malt(DME or LME). I think that you should be fine, if you get as much sugar out of your grains as you can you will probably just end up with a higher starting gravity.

that does seem pretty big for a razzy wheat. I think most are in the 4-5.5% range, but i suppose there's no reason you couldn't make it nearly twice (around 8%) that if you wanted.

What would you recommend I change to make a 5-6.5% alcohol beer? i am not looking to make an 8% beer, but I don't want a 3.5% either. Keep the grains, and reduce the DME? Vice versa?

Also, I need a recommended yeast. I have Kolsch, Irish Ale, and Hefeweizen liquid yeast ready, or I can use dry if need be.

I converted an Extract recipe I had using BeerSmith and this is what it gave me:
6 lbs 12.6 oz of Wheat LME
0.3 oz of Pale Malt Maris Otter
1 oz Willamette at 60 min
1 oz Cascade at 15 min
German Wheat Yeast.

Here's another one. I converted the PM to an AG then back to a PM and this is what BeerSmith suggested:
5 lbs 1.1 oz Pale Malt
3 lbs 4.0 oz Wheat Malt
1 oz Wheat LME
1.5 oz Pale LME
.73 oz Willamette at 60 min
.73 oz Cascade at 15 min

Interesting. I like the idea of using the Hefeweizen yeast. I appreciate you doing the conversions. However, some of the measurements might be difficult to achieve, especially since my grain is already milled and mixed in one bag. What if I mash all 7 pounds and then add only 3lbs of the wheat DME. What OG should I expect?

Interesting. I like the idea of using the Hefeweizen yeast. I appreciate you doing the conversions. However, some of the measurements might be difficult to achieve, especially since my grain is already milled and mixed in one bag. What if I mash all 7 pounds and then add only 3lbs of the wheat DME. What OG should I expect?

Depends on your efficiency, but around 1.06-1.07 (65-85% eff).

Back