Rye PA: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've thought of doing a roggenbier, but I've heard horror stories of sparging rye and the high percentages you need scare me. That being said, I did 18% rye last night and I didn't even notice it. Time to start bumping that up to see where the problems start popping up.

Baron, what say you?

mjm76 said:
Baron......with your affinity towards wheat beers, have you ever considered a roggenbier?
Whoops, missed this one. No, I haven't considered a roggenbier, but that's only because I haven't tried one yet which I'd like to do before making 5g. I avoided a big mistake by trying a Schlenkerla before doing a rauchbier (not at all like bacon). As soon as I can try one, and if I like it, it'll be on deck.

Anyways, this one is in the books. Only substitution was CaraMunich I for the crystal which is fine (and CC approved). Still got the 70% efficiency I've been stuck on lately so I need to look into that. Crushed with the Corona so I can't blame the LHBS's mill this time. I'll blame it on the 2# of rye LOL.

The wort tasted great so I'm looking forward to this one.

In my experience rye tends to hurt efficiency. I'm going to try one again when I finish my new brewing setup and see if it's any better.

My efficiency was basically unchanged with almost 20% flaked rye. I think I'm going to up that in the next one though, I can already tell I want it to be more spicy.

Yeah, mine at 17% malted rye didn't have quite the bite I was expecting when I sampled the wort yesterday, but I know a lot can change between now and carbonation so we'll see. I might wish I had done more like 20%.

Does rye absorb more water than regular malted barley? I feel like I had a little less in my kettle than I was expecting, but I wound up with 6g of wort which I think was due to less than expected evaporation yesterday.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Yeah, mine at 17% malted rye didn't have quite the bite I was expecting when I sampled the wort yesterday, but I know a lot can change between now and carbonation so we'll see. I might wish I had done more like 20%.

Does rye absorb more water than regular malted barley? I feel like I had a little less in my kettle than I was expecting, but I wound up with 6g of wort which I think was due to less than expected evaporation yesterday.

I didn't notice the rye soaking up more water....but I usually mash thin anyway, so I prolly wouldn't have noticed.

I think the key with using rye (in a pale ale) is to use a high cohumolone hop for bittering so the spiciness comes through better. The perception of a spicy hop will accentuate the rye, IMHO. That is why I think HRR works so well. No?

I'd like to sample these guys....I love rye pale ales. I need to brew another Red Eye Rye soon. For me, this is the best time of the year to brew because of the cooler fermentation temps, seeing I can't control the temps yet. :p

Baron....

Have you pulled and tasted any samples of your rye yet? One of the local brew pubs here (Great Dane in Madison, WI) has a rye on tap now. I asked and was told the grist is 45% rye, it was a very good beer, but I was surprised with that much rye that there wasn't more of a robust rye flavor. If you've sampled, was that percentage of rye enough to get a nice rye flavor?

This is the first rye I've done and I believe I'm around 17%. I'm surprised at the 45% number, but it's be interesting to try. I believe CC wanted to put more than 20% is his next batch.

I tried a sample when racking to secondary and thought it was a good PA with a hint of rye but it was still obviously quite green. It's been in the secondary for a couple of weeks at 55F, so as soon as I kick my IPA I'm going to keg it and report back.

This is good beer...I was worried about it being too dry, but I think it's fine. Full carbonation will take another day or two to kick in.

I think, like the Chairman, (see how important punctuation is?) that I'll up the rye in the next batch. Probably use flakes to get to ~20-22% rye. Perhaps due to my classic Chinook/Cascade hopping the hop profile grabs more of my attention than the rye character. I might not even note it if I didn't know better. I might drop the crystal malt altogether and mash ~152-153.

Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back