Pitch Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rzar

Reaction score
I have a question about the temp of the beer when you Pitch. I am using liquid San Fransico style yeast to make a lager. The instructions on the yeast said to pitch between 70-75 deg. When I put the yeast in the carboy it was at 64 degrees. I have the carboy sitting in my garage so the temps stay cool for the lager. I don't think the temp will get over 68 deg. I did make sure and airate the carboy before pitching. Will fermentation start?

If it is a lager yeast you should be fine. By rule of thumb your wort should be within 5 degrees of your fermentation temperature before you pitch.

You're good - better actually as the instructions are . . . wrong. Wrong you say? yes wrong - Home brew instructions are made for the casual impatient homebrewer that will not wait for 64 degrees and I have seen some HIDEOUS instructions which will give you alcohol but not the best beer.

Thanks for the answers guys! It is a lager yeast.

Grinder, if I wanted alcohol I would just buy some rot gut ;). I am after some fine beer.

Back