Faucet shank question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teaman

Reaction score
Just getting a list together for my kegging adventure and am weeding my way through all the info.

I think I have figured out that the beer line is normally 3/16. Now looking at shanks they have 3/16 and 1/4 bore. Should the bore match the line size or does it matter? If it doesn't matter, which one would be prefered?

and.... Can someone tell me the faucet shank length I need to use for the basic 2x6 collar? I don't want it much longer than need be.

Thanks.

shank length just has to be thicker than what you're sticking it through. Since you'll be going through a 2x6 collar you'd want it larger than 2". Short shanks are usually used in towers where there is very little clearance and little room to work with. You can basically use any size you find with a collar.

on shank length consider the following..

The more shank you have inside the cold section will help to keep everything cooler at the point of serving and help with foaming. At least this was the info given to me when i was building mine. I went with 4" shanks going thru a 1' collar backed by 1' of insulation.

ok thanks.
going with 4 inch. i just didn't know how much thread the faucet and collar took and i didn't want a huge amount sticking through the inside.

I think the 1/4" bore would be OK, but I would get 3/16" to match my line if possible.

Back