wheat dopplebock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhines09

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to home brewing and to this site as well. i have a question on my first extract brew that I did last Friday night. I got the Aventinus kit from austin and brewed it up last weekend. The o.g. was supposed to be 1.075 and mine was 1.070. I let it go in the primary until earlier this afternoon and racked it to the secondary. The gravity reading was 1.024. The recipe in the kit calls for a final of 1.019. Do you think there will be much change in the secondary or will my brew finish off close to what it is at now? Regardless I am as amped as one could be and it smells great and has a nice taste, close to the sweetness in Aventinus now. It does have a much diffrent color though. Thanks in advance! :mug:

First off welcome
Next read around as much as u can. most round here don't even use a secondary, so ull get mixed responses. Leave it alone for a couple days and retest

The reason your OG was low was you probably didn't get the wort mixed well enough with the top of water. This happens a lot with extract.

It might drop a couple more points in the secondary or it may not. Just leave it in there for about 10 days to 2 weeks and you'll be fine.

Another thing with extract brewing is color. I would imagine it is darker than you thought. This happens because the sugars carmelize. You can do a late extract addition to help lighten your extract beers.

Back