Hello and some Noob Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonySkids

Reaction score
Hello fellow posters. I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Tony and I just recently thought about brewing beer as a new hobby/project. This forum seems like a good place to start and it seems as though many of you know what you are talking about.

I really have no idea where to start as far as kits and books go. If you don't mind a little insight from all of you would be great. I have searched online and I it seems like a tough decision. What is and where can I get the best starter kit for a noob like myself?

Also, which books are the best to buy?

Thanks a lot Tony.

Is that book available at bookstores? I was hoping to buy a book today so i can have it for my plane flight tomorrow.

homebrewer_99 said:
Version 1 is FREE!:eek: All you have to do is download it. If you have a laptop then you're all set.:D

How many pages is it? I need something for the plane. Also what books are there for mead?

Books are an excellant source and go into great detail when doing all grain batches, as well as extract brews. Try to stick to the basics and for your first batch it might be easier to do an extract brew or partial mash. Extract you just use extract syrup. Partial mash you use a little bit of grain and Extract. For your first one pick something simple. You may have a brew shop close to you, if you dont most have online ordering. Sanitation, Sanitation, Sanitation. Thats my 2cents. I have THE BREWMASTER'S BIBLE by Stephen Snyder. Seems like its pretty helpful and has many differant recipes with step by step instruction. Welcome, Good Luck!!

I really hate giving you a short answer, but there is TONS of information on the net that you can read, highlight, copy and paste into a word doc.

That's where I've acquired a lot of my info over the years.:D

Will you have a laptop with you? I can send you a bunch of files via email if you're interested.

[email protected]

No laptop this is a trip for fun not business. I was just looking for a book to read on the plane and then a kit to buy when I get home.

Hiya Tony! Like these guys have said, John Palmer's "How To Brew" will get you started and keep you in the right direction. I would have to say everyone here has read it, and used many parts of it in their own brew method. Its a great introduction, and is also a great reference to go back to over and over.

You can check out simple extract ale brewing kits at morebeer.com, northernbrewer.com, beer-wine.com, midwestsupplies.com, austinhomebrew.com, and many others. The extract ale kits will come with liquid malt extract, dry malt extract, and pellet hops. These are simple ingredient kits which you simply boil water in a large pot or kettle, and add each ingredient at a specific time during the boil. They will have instructions as well. Its how most people started, and is a great introduction into brewing. Plus, you will be amazed how good the beer made from that simple kit will be.

Sounds good guys thanks for the help. My boss just gave me Dave Miller's "Homebrewing Guide" earlier tonight. Are you all familiar with that one?

TonySkids said:
Sounds good guys thanks for the help. My boss just gave me Dave Miller's "Homebrewing Guide" earlier tonight. Are you all familiar with that one?
It's a good book, but bear in mind while you're reading it that it is oriented towards more intermediate to advanced methods. He discusses extract brewing and the basics, but really focuses on all-grain brewing. However, a lot of the information regarding hops, water, fermentation, bottling, etc. is still applicable.

I think it would be a great airplane read, but I don't want you to feel overwhelmed by the information...brewing beer can be much simpler than the level of detail Miller gets into.

El Pistolero said:
Hey Tony...welcome. One good place to start your reading is How-to-Brew.
I used this as well. I used a laptop, but I also printed out the beginning sections to have as hard copy. The initial section about the crash course on brewing is how I started, including using the recipe in the book. The brew is quite tasty, and gives you a good feel for the process. I have since printed out the book and put it into a binder. (using the commercial duplex printers at work helped :) )

Back