Year old hops, still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brehuh

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a lb of cascade pellet hops last summer and I weighted them out, put them in little zip top bags, and stored them in the freezer. I opened a bag up tonight and noticed a little funky smell (not overwhelming) and the normal hop smell. I know if they turn brown and/or smell like stinky cheese to toss them. I put some in a hot cup of water and the funky smell went away, so do you think they are still good? I am doing my first summer brew day on Friday, can't wait!

Thanks for the input!

Use them! You kept them cold, which is the most important thing. The inside of your freezer is, I presume, consistently dark -- so that's good. You said you put them in a zip-loc bag -- that isn't ideal, but hopefully you got as much air out as possible. I wouldn't necessarily rely on them as aroma hops, as they likely lost some of that quality, but they should be OK for bittering. Expect to use a bit more than usual.

Back