The last half bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
What do you normally do with the last half to threequarters bottle of beer when you're bottling. It seems I always have 1/2 - 3/4 bottle at the end.

You could put an ounce or two in a few of the bottles you already filled, and reduce your ullage or
find some ponies and bottle that beotch! I keep some of them 12 oz. bottles and some of them little coronitas from Corona around for that very purpose. The cool aspect of using the clear pony bottle is that you can really get a good sense of it's clarity once the bottle fully conditions.
Besides, hey if it does actually get light-struck it's a small amount.

Pretty sure I've read 1/2 filled bottles have a higher probability to be a bomb (Ok, I know I read it). I personally just dump it. It's 8 ounces. Or, you can have some shorty bottles handy for that last wee bit :).

I'm in the "drink it" family. Pour it in a glass and drink it. I've actually started to like room temp beer. Now try that with old milwaukee and it will probably come right back up. But there's nothing quite like the flavor of the bottom of the barrel at room temp!

loop

I sometimes end up with about 2 gallons extra so I end up dumping it down the drain. I hate to do it but i'ts not worth the trouble of cleaning another keg...

desertBrew said:
Pretty sure I've read 1/2 filled bottles have a higher probability to be a bomb (Ok, I know I read it). I personally just dump it. It's 8 ounces. Or, you can have some shorty bottles handy for that last wee bit :).

Doesn't make sense that 1/2 bottles would more easily become bombs. You have more headspace and therefore need much more CO2 to pressurize it than you'd need for the standard 1" or so of headspace. The more likely result would be undercarbonated beer.

As for me, I drink that last bit as well unless I'm kegging.
:mug:

Yuri_Rage said:
...You have more headspace and therefore need much more CO2 to pressurize it than you'd need for the standard 1" or so of headspace. The more likely result would be undercarbonated beer.

I kind of figured the logic the same way. Therefore, I cap it up and it is always the first opened, usually in a week or so, as a test bottle. I enjoy the smell of my uncarbonated beer but I can quite get used to drinking it flat.

It's related to that headspace - the more headspace you have = more o2 for the yeast to stay active to create more co2. Here's a little excerpt from ebrew.com. It's also written up in the joy of brewing:

Bottle Fill Level - One of the most important factors in determining the carbonation level of your beer is the level to which you fill the bottles themselves. Overfilled bottle are likely to be under-carbonated. Under filled bottle may be over-carbonated. The fill level is preferably 1 to 2 inches from the rim of the bottle, and will hold true for all bottle sizes. The bottle filler in our systems is designed to achieve a perfect fill level. This may take some practice, but the skill comes quickly. You may wish to place the bottles to be filled in a sauce pan to catch any overflow you will probably generate.

Monster Mash said:
I sometimes end up with about 2 gallons extra so I end up dumping it down the drain. I hate to do it but i'ts not worth the trouble of cleaning another keg...

The insanity!!!

P funky said:
Monster... bro... I died inside, just a little, just now...

Where's the smiley for insane, soul-crushing sadness?

:drunk:

You GOTTA be wasted or just plain bat**** insane to dump gallons of perfectly good homebrew down the drain because you're too lazy to clean. WTF happened to BOTTLING? I mean, okay, you look at MonsterMash's photos, and sure, you can't help but get a little jealous of his homebrewing infrastructure. ****, I know some smaller microbreweries that might be jealous of that...but damn, at the very least, just be a philanthropist and bottle it and give it to the poor.

Here's a serious answer: if you have a few larger bottles (pints, or slightly-larger than pints), save one or two in reserve.

If you've got too little at the very end to fill a regular 12 oz bottle, dump what's left into the larger bottle, then dump one of your full 12 ozers in there with it.

Evan! said:
:drunk:

You GOTTA be wasted or just plain bat**** insane to dump gallons of perfectly good homebrew down the drain because you're too lazy to clean. WTF happened to BOTTLING? I mean, okay, you look at MonsterMash's photos, and sure, you can't help but get a little jealous of his homebrewing infrastructure. ****, I know some smaller microbreweries that might be jealous of that...but damn, at the very least, just be a philanthropist and bottle it and give it to the poor.

Yeah, but to tear down, clean and sanitize 5 kegs is a lot of work. I figure I have enough beer with 5 kegs if I dump 2 gallons it's not a great loss and it saves a keg for my next batch.

Bottling is out of the question, I gave up on that years ago....:tank:

Monster Mash said:
Yeah, but to tear down, clean and sanitize 5 kegs is a lot of work. I figure I have enough beer with 5 kegs if I dump 2 gallons it's not a great loss and it saves a keg for my next batch.

Man, if I lived near you, I'd bring over a sanitized bottling bucket with a full lid on it. You could dump those 2 gallons in there and I'd fill 7 of my 1 liter plop-tops and be done with it.

Then again, it's all relative to the size of the batch. I'd spill that much working with 25 gallons at a time.

EdWort said:
Man, if I lived near you, I'd bring over a sanitized bottling bucket with a full lid on it. You could dump those 2 gallons in there and I'd fill 7 of my 1 liter plop-tops and be done with it.

I see Monster's point...but it's shameful! At least some rats in the sewers will have some tasty brew washing through!

Honestly, I hate seeing beer go down the drain. But I'd just have to find a way to save that beer...1 case of 1-liter flip-tops is so mess-free...and a one-step rinse...easy easy.

Just think, he's tossing 40% of our total batch. And this topic was about the last 8oz in a bottle bucket. That's 1% of 5g and why I just dump it ;).

Monster Mash said:

Sacriledge I tell you...sacriledge!

Back