Sushi & Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
I figured I'd post this because I love me some sushi and beer. I'm a burger and fries kind of guy but recently my gf has introduced me to sushi. I try just about everything and like most things but damn is sushi good.

Anyway we have been buying the stuff to make it at home after the gf took a course on how to prepare some basic sushi. We have been making spicy shrimp sushi once a week. Tonight was my turn.

Turns out its awesome food, and easy to make when you don't feel like cooking. And I find it pairs well with a good IPA. The beers not in the picture because it was drained before I got to it :D

IMG_0393_zps4501a95c.jpg

If you want to make some here's what to do (keep in mind i'm far from a chef):

What you need:

White rice
Sushi wraps
Thin sliced carrots & cucumbers
Cream cheese
Chili sauce
Shrimp
Wasabi
Soy sauce
Peanut sauce (optional)

We get our stuff from wegmans.

For two rolls:

Rice (white), cooked and cooled down to room temp. 1 cup dry rice is good for two rolls.

6 pieces of shrimp, cooked till pink. Dice them up.

Mix shrimp with some cream cheese, 1/4 cup or so of cream cheese. Use your judgement here.

Add chili sauce to cream cheese and shrimp. Again use judgement here. The chili sauce we get is sriracha hot chili sauce and its amazing. Mix that up into a paste.

Lay out sushi roll glossy side down, lines perpendicular to you. Spread rice with a spoon a mm or two thick all around the wrap evenly. Leave a 1" strip at the top end, farthest from you.

Put spicy shrimp paste in a line an inch from the bottom, closest to you that it. Use half of what you made and spread it evenly in a 1" strip.

On top of the shrimp add your thin sliced cucumber and carrots evenly. Same as you did with the shrimp.

Now gently roll it up. Loose at first, these wraps rip really easy. I usually tighten it up towards the end of the roll.

Wet your fingers and spread them over the 1" space you left free at the top. Finish rolling and seal that end like an envelope.

Cut with a serrated knife, pour some soy sauce into a small dish and get out the wasabi. I like peanut sauce also.

Only add a dab of wasabi, it gets damn hot if you add too much. Dip in soy sauce and enjoy.

Really goes awesome with a home brewed beer.

Anyway I thought I'd post this here. Try it out sometime, you won't be disappointed.

I recently looked up some videos on how to make sushi and kind of just forgot about it. I thank you for posting this because I think I'll pick up the ingredients this week and take a stab at it. I'll have to see how well it goes with the pale ale I have kegged up or possibly some of that home made rice wine!:rockin:

Find an asian grocer and get short grained sushi rice, makes a world of difference and is easier to roll. I was a bit scared the first time I did it but I found a very good fresh fish purveyor and used raw fish. It was amazing. Those came out great! My first try was pretty ugly lookin

Definitely get the sushi rice from an Asian store. I learned how to make sushi from a Japanese woman and wow is it good! My personal favorite is white salmon but Atlantic salmon and eel are right up there!

Sushi is very high in flavor, especially with wasabi so it pairs well with almost any beer style! I can't say that I've ever tried it with an IPA but that is now on the list!

Yeah next time were going to get some sushi rice and stack up on the wraps when we go back to the Asian vendor we have here. We want to try either eel of tuna next time. Don't exactly know where to pick those up though. Looking forward to finding it if we can!

I recently looked up some videos on how to make sushi and kind of just forgot about it. I thank you for posting this because I think I'll pick up the ingredients this week and take a stab at it. I'll have to see how well it goes with the pale ale I have kegged up or possibly some of that home made rice wine!:rockin:

:mug:

Yeah next time were going to get some sushi rice and stack up on the wraps when we go back to the Asian vendor we have here. We want to try either eel of tuna next time. Don't exactly know where to pick those up though. Looking forward to finding it if we can!

The Asian food store I go to has Eel, Salmon, Tuna and about 10 other types of fish for sushi. If you see white salmon get it! Best tasting sushi you will ever have! It melts in your mouth.

The Asian food store I go to has Eel, Salmon, Tuna and about 10 other types of fish for sushi. If you see white salmon get it! Best tasting sushi you will ever have! It melts in your mouth.

Will do! I guess we'll just have to look around more next time we're there.

It's pretty over the top, but I just watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi last week on bluray. I found it quite fascinating, I think it's the only sushi restaurant to get Michelin 3 stars, the chef is over 80 y.o., and all he serves is sushi, everyday that he possibly can. I think it's 9 seats in his restaurant, next to a metro/subway station(?), and it starts at something like $300ish. Everything is considered, even the seating of guests, left vs right handed guests (the chef is left handed), even gender as far as the portion sizes, so that everyone can make it to the end.

I remember a little bit about the brief moment they were talking about rice (they are very picky, and I've no idea what rice they get), but they did say they think theirs was best at body temperature, and that they had a special storage system before serving it. (I think it was like a basket inside a basket, but don't recall anything else.)

And I find it pairs well with a good IPA. The beers not in the picture because it was drained before I got to it :D

De gustibus non est disputandum, but I do have a dumb and honest question, doesn't anyone else fear that an IPA is a bit too strong on the palette for a lot of the "delicate" tastes of sushi? I'd personally guess that a clean lager of some sort would be the WTG.

To be honest i'm not a taste pairing kind of guy. I like beer...i'll drink just about anything with anything. Except maybe an RIS with a hot dog at the game. I was drinking a longhammer ipa when I made that last batch of sushi. Longhammer's more of a pale ale than ipa. I think a IIPA would definitely take away from the food. You would likely just taste hops.

However, reading the list of taste pairing on an ipa I had the other day (can't remember which). It said pairs best with several things, but it included wasabi.

Back