Working on a Winter Warmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterj

Reaction score
So the weather's been cooling down and its got me thinking about brewing a winter warmer to get me through that cold winter week we have here in Georgia. Never brewed a spiced beer before though so I was hoping to get some feedback on the recipe. I'm probably most unsure about the amount of allspice and ginger. I want the spice to be present but not overbearing. I've heard allspice is a pretty balanced spice and it's hard to over do it. Also not sure about the coffee. I thought it might blend well with the spices though. Open to feedback on the malts and hops too of course. Here's the recipe:

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Holiday/Winter Special Spiced Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Efficiency: 70%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 6.16%
IBU (tinseth): 42.96
SRM (morey): 25.59

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - Maris Otter Pale (52.8%)
4 lb - Munich (30.2%)
0.75 lb - Caramel / Crystal 40L (5.7%)
0.75 lb - Caramel / Crystal 120L (5.7%)
0.5 lb - Chocolate (3.8%)
0.25 lb - Smoked Malt (1.9%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Simcoe (AA 12.7), Type: Pellet, Use: First Wort
0.5 oz - Magnum (AA 15) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - East Kent Goldings (AA 5) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

MASH STEPS:
1) Temperature, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 18 qt, Strike temp = 167
2) Infusion, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 7.5 qt, Mashout
3) Sparge, Temp: 185 F, Amount: 10 qt, Batch Sparge

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp - Allspice, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
1 tsp - Ginger, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
2 oz - Course Ground Coffee, Time: 0 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 75%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temperature: 59 F - 75 F

Oh, and I know the ABV is a bit low for a winter warmer but I didn't wanted to go too big just to make sure it would be ready for Christmas.

Also feel free to post completely different recipes for winter beers that you happen to be brewing or thinking about brewing so that I can steal ideas from you and maybe incorporate them into this one.

Thanks for the help in advance.:mug:

Bump. Also, I just tried a brown ale that I put 6 oz of smoked malt in and it was really subtle so I think I will up the smoked to about 12 oz. I want to brew this weekend so any thoughts or suggestions on the recipe would be greatly appreciated.

The grain bill looks pretty good, should be interesting!

The only thing I keep thinking is, a 6% beer isn't going to be much of a winter warmer... you could probably get away with more like 7.5% and have it ready by christmas considering you WANT a little alcohol warmth. That's just me though, I like my beers strong ;)
Let us know how it turns out!

Back