Neighbors!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yooper, We still have to get together and brew! My grain finally showed up and I had to do it on a Tuesday. Long story short I'm really the grain didn't show up for Saturday. I had the worst brew day in about 15 years. First my termawell developed a small leak during the mash. No big deal very small leak during the sparge. Then big trouble, I broke a weld on my boil keggle. Not sure if it just gave out or if it got hit and cracked. Anyway, it started leaking really bad about 60 minutes into a 90 minute boil. Had to duck tape it and pray the tape didn't burn.

Next brew day will be on the 10th. My broken Weld IPA will be ready for drinking. I'll IM you the details. Going to order the grains tomorrow so they are here ready to be brewed this time!

You've been in Texas enough to know we're all for the most part very friendly.

It's one of the pleasures of living here.

Yooper, We still have to get together and brew! My grain finally showed up and I had to do it on a Tuesday. Long story short I'm really the grain didn't show up for Saturday. I had the worst brew day in about 15 years. First my termawell developed a small leak during the mash. No big deal very small leak during the sparge. Then big trouble, I broke a weld on my boil keggle. Not sure if it just gave out or if it got hit and cracked. Anyway, it started leaking really bad about 60 minutes into a 90 minute boil. Had to duck tape it and pray the tape didn't burn.

Next brew day will be on the 10th. My broken Weld IPA will be ready for drinking. I'll IM you the details. Going to order the grains tomorrow so they are here ready to be brewed this time!

I wondered! But let me know, and I'll come down!

You've been in Texas enough to know we're all for the most part very friendly.

It's one of the pleasures of living here.

It really is! Where we live "up north", the people are super friendly also so it's like being home for us in many ways. All of our Texan friends are warm and welcoming and generous- and we love being in this environment.

I wanted to update this. I dropped off 4 beers this late AM to their picnic table- only two homebrews and two commercials I like. Later, the female half of the couple walked down with her daughter and grandson. I gave them a couple of beers, and I realized again how nice these people are!

The daughter is stunningly gorgeous- with a beautiful smile. Sorry to tell you guys, she's happily married with an adorable infant. Not only that, she liked my hoppy amber. So, she's a keeper for some lucky guy. Her mom also liked my amber, and she's smart and funny. I introduced them to some friends visiting here from Wisconsin, so it was a wonderful group from 5 months old to 78 years old.

I'm already sad that I'm leaving in two weeks. I hate leaving my Texas "home".

They called me today, as they were brewing and invited me to walk down and participate. I mostly talked and drank beer- and I'm very good at both of those things. They made an extract batch from AHS and we chatted and finished up his Speckled Heifer clone from his keg. It was great. I got to smell the grains and wort, and it was a great time.

They are going to come visit my brewery this summer and brew at my house- so that's really something! :ban:

Just in case they are all sat around a laptop reading this....... HI Texas neighbour folks peeps of Yooper!!!! :mug:

Oh!! And just in case super-pretty mom is reading. I have a Ferrari!! (I'm going to the doctor to get it cut out soon, so any time after that, call me!)

Yep, we've been to the PA brewpub a few times. It's "ok". The pizza is good, the beer is "ok". They have cool t-shirts, though!

We stopped in there last weekend on Sunday, but at 2 PM it was crowded and we couldn't get a table without a long wait.

Flour bluff is nice- we drove through it a couple of weeks ago after getting pizza at B&Js, on our way to the Island. We ate our pizza on the beach, with beers from home. Definitely better pizza and beer than from the Port Aransas brewpub!

Wow, small world. I lived in Corpus for work in 2009 right around the corner from B&J's. They probably have the best tap selection in the area and the pizza was always good. I remember going to a St. Arnold's cask tapping there one evening.

I'm glad you're meeting some nice fellow homebrewers in Texas.

I've just got to know.......was the lisp really named "Dick"?

Dick is his name.
Something strange is happening, the mennonite women next door stopped over last night and gave us some peanut butter bars that she baked. In the 4 years that they lived there we have only seen her at a distance. I talked to her husband several times though. I'm still trying to figure out the motive....

They are mennonites? I'm inclined to assume you can take the gesture at face value... they had more peanut butter bars than they can eat.

They are mennonites? I'm inclined to assume you can take the gesture at face value... they had more peanut butter bars than they can eat.

I don't think they can be trusted, they work all the time and never sleep:) Maybe she heard I had beer on tap in the garage and she was sent over to scope it out. I may have to work out a trade because those peanut butter bars were good.

We had the neighbors over for dinner last night. She got the last of the IPA before it kicked, and he (who hates hoppy beers) did like my hoppy amber although he told me it was "IPA-like" because of the hops.

We drank lots of beer, told many stories and really enjoyed ourselves. They'll be coming up north this summer to see my brewery and brew with me, so that will be awesome! :rockin:

We grilled bacon-wrapped venison backstraps and lamb chops we brought from home, along with grilled potatoes. We had Wisconsin cheese (brought to us by a friend who visited) as our hors d'oeuvres- so they had Wisconsin lamb and cheese and Yooper venison and beer. It was a good time.

My neighbor is pretty neutral. Doesn't really talk to me, mostly cause I live in Baltimore and am a Steelers fan. But eh, as long as he leaves me be, and doesn't complain about me leaving on a motorcycle at 4 in the morning for work.

Last night we got back from SWMBO's parents' place with wedding presents in the car. One of our neighbors, Paul, rents the garage in our house, so technically he is within his rights to get annoyed when we park in the driveway to unload our stuff.

Not only did Paul not get annoyed last night, he helped me carry a beast of a box into the house, and offered to help me get it up the stairs. This thread seemed like just the place to rave about the guy, even if its unlikely that he'd ever read it.

I'll put up with the guy across the street who throws his pants out the window and the cat-piss sexpot downstairs if it means we get to keep Paul.

neighbors? We ain't got no stinkin' neighbors:D

The skys are great at night, my wolfypoos can howl all they want, I guess the closest thing we can call a neighbor is coyotes and other desert critters...

I wanted to bump this, because guess who is coming for a visit next week?!?! Yep, our friends David and Patti!

They are going to stay a night at our house midweek, and we're going to brew and visit and drink a few beers.

What a funny way to meet people, I guess, just kayaking by their house in Texas. But I'm so glad I did!

My wife and I are younger for our neighborhood (we're late 20's now but were mid 20's when we moved in). Our neighbors to our left were late 70's and 80's (the gentleman still flew out to Cali to visit his 99 year old mother!). They were great people. Friendly to talk to but never really bugged us. Asked me for a favor hear and there, which I was always happy to help with. They even let us tear down the fence between our properties so we could put up a taller one to prevent our newly adopted dog from jumping over it. They've since moved and a couple in their late 40's / 50's moved in. They're nice and we do they occasional wave and "Hey, how ya doing?" thing, but that's about it.

The neighbors to our right are in their 50's and the wife's husband had a stroke a few years before we moved in. They stay to themselves a good amount, but again, very nice people. I've been mowing for them most of the summer since her lawn mower was broke. They aren't financially well since his stroke and she works when she can, so a mower wasn't in their budget to get a new one. Family ended up getting them a new one, so now I don't see them too much other than the occasional "hey".

I have noticed now a lot more younger people in the neighborhood which is nice :) Always fun to just walk home after a long night of beverages instead of having to worry about driving. :)

My wife and I are younger for our neighborhood (we're late 20's now but were mid 20's when we moved in). Our neighbors to our left were late 70's and 80's (the gentleman still flew out to Cali to visit his 99 year old mother!). They were great people. Friendly to talk to but never really bugged us. Asked me for a favor hear and there, which I was always happy to help with. They even let us tear down the fence between our properties so we could put up a taller one to prevent our newly adopted dog from jumping over it. They've since moved and a couple in their late 40's / 50's moved in. They're nice and we do they occasional wave and "Hey, how ya doing?" thing, but that's about it.

The neighbors to our right are in their 50's and the wife's husband had a stroke a few years before we moved in. They stay to themselves a good amount, but again, very nice people. I've been mowing for them most of the summer since her lawn mower was broke. They aren't financially well since his stroke and she works when she can, so a mower wasn't in their budget to get a new one. Family ended up getting them a new one, so now I don't see them too much other than the occasional "hey".

I have noticed now a lot more younger people in the neighborhood which is nice :) Always fun to just walk home after a long night of beverages instead of having to worry about driving. :)

You Sir are a good neighbor.

:mug:

I wanted to bump this, because guess who is coming for a visit next week?!?! Yep, our friends David and Patti!

They are going to stay a night at our house midweek, and we're going to brew and visit and drink a few beers.

What a funny way to meet people, I guess, just kayaking by their house in Texas. But I'm so glad I did!

I forgot about this until just now, but they came over and we brewed an American amber. They left for Texas back in November, but I kegged the beer and I'm bringing it down so they can try it on Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing them again, and hopefully brewing!

Back