camp chef burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkrausen

Reaction score
So I finally decided to make the step from stove top partial boils to outdoor full boils. I purchased a Camp Chef (SH140L) propane burner on Amazon along with a universal ignitor for $50. I was pretty excited to see that it arrived today. I opened it up and everything looked in order until I looked at the burner itself. The frame looked new, but the burner looked like it might have been taken from another used unit or something. It is a grayish color while the rest of the frame is a fresh black color. Just wondering if this might be the case or if I am just making something out of nothing. Pics included.

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

The one you've got looks a little cruddy. It's hard to tell from the pic though. I have a similar burner. The frame is always painted or powder coated black and the burner is always raw cast iron, which does have a grayisk color to it. But, if it fires up and you can get a nice blue flame, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's gonna look like crap after the first time you use it anyway.

Thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and hooked it up to test it out and see how long it would tak to get roughly 8 gallons of water to a boil. It fired up no problem and had a solid flame going once I got use to the oxygen regulator. I'm actually really pleased with it. It got the water to boil in about 35-40 mins. And you're right JJL, it lost most of the paint that was directly over the burner after the first use even though it says, "Unlike most competing models, this burner is coated with high temperature paint, and it will not come off with the very first use like other models." Oh well, I'm pleased with it and can't wait to do my first brew on it this sunday.:rockin:

I had that burner and sold it after 2 years of solid performance. I bought the Blichmann floor burner to replace it.

The biggest complaint I had with the camp chef was how loud it was. I actually shut it down when priming my pump so I could hear the pump.

I switched from cheaper thermoplastic to silicon translucent tubing so I could see what the pump was pushing and not have to shut the burner down.

I wouldn't worry about the burner. I think it's going to work great!

I just used that same burner on a Camp Chef side by side (60k and 30k). The 60k freaking did awsome for my first 10 gallon batch, it was the first time using the burner also. The other burner worked great for my mash-less btu's equaled easier temp control.

Back