Home brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

obama

Reaction score
So what exactly is Home brewing and is it legal? I love Bud Light and would love to make this.

guy with screen name "obama" comes onto a homebrewing forum, professing his love for bud light....HAS to be legit! :)

hmmmmm...... Blots, CA does not show up as a real town on mapquest. Budlight, intresting...... RDWHAHB Pres, we can show you how it's done.

not very well informed for the Pres - I'm voting imposter.

yes, in 1978, several years prior to your birth, another Democrat signed a bill into law that allowed for the production of beer at home for personal consumption.

Obama already knows how to brew....We've got a dozen threads spread over a year period on this topic- Obamas Kick Back With White House Homebrew

They've been homebrewing at the whitehouse for over a year.

DontFeedTheTroll.jpg

Yes I am trolling for info and tips on how to homebrew. This sounds like a interesting hobby and I look forward to learning. Guess choosing Obama for my screen name was a bad idea but I was just so exited no one had claimed his name yet I had too.

When I tailgate before nascar, I like to bring a bit of homebrewed meth with my budlight.

Only if you brew it with radioactive grains from Japan...

Yes I am trolling for info and tips on how to homebrew. This sounds like a interesting hobby and I look forward to learning. Guess choosing Obama for my screen name was a bad idea but I was just so exited no one had claimed his name yet I had too.

Yeah, you sort of walked into it. Between the name and the bud-light comment you set your self up to be under scrutiny. And to bring out the goofiness in folks.

Your best bet is to start with the afore mentioned book how to brew. And then look at the stickies on here as well as the current discussions. But starting with the book is a good way to get the basic concepts. But be aware the online edition linked above is out dated, and even the author has backed off on some of the stances he took (like about autolysys) but the basic info is great in there.

I need to start off by saying welcome.
Making a beer like bud light is easy, bud without proper equipment it's actually very hard.

This might be speaking jargon to you but bud light has little to no taste . In order to produce that you need proper fermentation temps.

Most people find that the cleanest beer is made by using a freezer with a controller and probe to controller temps on a dime.
Of course there are other things involved but temp control is a big part. Your first beer will not taste like bud light . Read palmers book for homebrew it will help a lot.

Your first beer will have more flavor than a bud light , you may not be meant for homebrewing since most hb start off with ales.

My suggestion if you are willing to put in the time and money get equipment we will help you decide and start off buying festa brew or brewhouse kits.

These are all grain wort you just need to pitch yeast , this will get you used to bottling, sanitizing and stabilizing your temps. Once you get your process down you can move on to some recipes that will get you closer to bud light.

I started here with those easy kits but honestly I still make them sometimes. They make some really good beer when you don't have the time for a full brew day.

Awesome! I've been wanting to share my Bud Light clone recipe. Here it is:
12# 2-row
1# Simpson's Extra Dark Crystal
1# rye flakes
2 OZ Simcoe whole leaf @ 60 min.
.5 OZ Amarillo whole leaf/.5 OZ Simcoe @ 20 min
.5 OZ Amarillo/.5 OZ Simcoe @10 min
.5 OZ Amarilo/.5 OZ Simcoe @ flameout
Pitch a healthy starter of Wyeast 1056
It may taste a little different, even a little better than the genuine article, due simply to differences in scale of production.
Enjoy!

BrewMU said:
12# 2-row
1# rye flakes
It may taste a little different, even a little better than the genuine article, due simply to differences in scale of production.
Enjoy!

Is this grain bill for a 5 gallon batch?? Ive been thinkin bout brewing some lighter beers lately cos the heavier ones have gotten me fat!! The beer gut gets in the way of stirring my mash now :/

Sent from my MB502 using Home Brew Talk

that is no bud light, but sounds like a decent Rye Pale Ale, or Rye IPA. (unless that 12 lbs is for a 15 gallon batch)
a little dry hopping and I'm in...

Hang Glider said:
that is no bud light, but sounds like a decent Rye Pale Ale, or Rye IPA. (unless that 12 lbs is for a 15 gallon batch)
a little dry hopping and I'm in...

So its a bit high grav for a 5 gallon batch then....

Sent from my MB502 using Home Brew Talk

12# 2-row
1# rye flakes
Enjoy!

I dont see how this recipe could be anywhere close to a bud light clone. Don't get me it looks like a great tasteing light recipe but,
1) Bud Light is a lager,
2) Simcoe is a pretty new hop variety that would not have been used when Bud Light was created.
3) Bud light uses rice as a adjunct to keep the calorie count down.

I dont see how this recipe could be anywhere close to a bud light clone. Don't get me it looks like a great tasteing light recipe but,
1) Bud Light is a lager,
2) Simcoe is a pretty new hop variety that would not have been used when Bud Light was created.
3) Bud light uses rice as a adjunct to keep the calorie count down.

I think he was having a bit of fun with OP:p

The 1lb of extra dark crystal didn't tip you off?

That recipe was obviously a joke, but FYI, Simcoe was actually developed as a bittering hop for Budweiser.

Sorry I guess I missed the joke, but Simcoe wasn't developed for Bud specificly. It was develped for "Big Breweries" that really don't care much about the variety of hops used but the cost of bitterness per acre grown. Since Simcoe was developled to produce high alpha acid but low cohumulone acid a bigger brewer can purchase a smaller quantity of Simcoe hop extract and produce the same bittering effect as say Cascade but avoid the astringent properties of another high AA hop like Columbus.

I read that it was Bud. The other stuff is obvious, although I'm sure someone else didn't know all that... :rolleyes:

EDIT: If I remember correctly, Jamil said the same thing about Simcoe recently in a CYBI podcast.

Just joking O. That definitely wasn't a bud light clone - just something I made up off the top of my head. It would be an IPA, I guess, but definitely an ale. Bud is technically a Pilsner, at least it claims to be, which is a type of lager. Most people start with ales, because you need a refrigerator to make lagers.
If you get into it, you can brew your own pilsner that will be a lot better than Bud Light.
Actually, here's your first assignment, should you choose to accept it: go to your local beerstore and pick up a few Pilsners. Try Urquell, Warsteiner Premium Verum, Bitburger, etc. (quality imported macrobrew Pilsners), and a couple of the regional craft brew Pilsners available in your area. I've got a feeling Bud Light won't be your favorite for long. Good luck.

I gave up earlier. Had my doubts, apologized just in case, and still no response from the OP. BTW, what purpose does trolling have anyways? Never have been able to figure it out.

So I decided I am going to start off with an apfelwein. I am unemployed so money is tight but I can use WIC to buy the apple jucie. :D. Any way can I use a 5 gallon water jug for this.
Thanks, obama

So I decided I am going to start off with an apfelwein. I am unemployed so money is tight but I can use WIC to buy the apple jucie. :D. Any way can I use a 5 gallon water jug for this.
Thanks, obama

I am finding it really hard to believe this isn't trolling... he seems to be setting himself up for every flame in the book :D

Thanks, obama

Giggity

There are just soooo many unpleasant thoughts rolling around in my head right now.

Who would spend time and effort reading this board enough to find every vacuous, controversial possible first post(s) and then mix in inflammatory tea party-esque politics?

This isn't a troll, it's performance art!

I can't wait until he brings up aluminum vs stainless and implies that all Muslims are terrorists who always use a secondary fermenter when the airlock stops bubbling.

*reaches for popcorn*

I'm not in the mood to play moderator for trolling.

Here's the deal- trolling is against forum rules. Political IDs are against forum rules. Having multiple IDs, especially set up just for trolling, is against forum rules.

If anybody else wants to do the same thing, you'll find that your "original" ID may be banned as well since breaking the forum rules may be a cause for banning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back