foaming through gas line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Finally was able to get back on this board. The "powers that be" had this site blocked, but for some reason and I'm not complaining, I can access it again so let me ask this question that's got be all confused.
After two weeks in the primary, I rack to keg and it sits out anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks. The last two times I've connected gas to the kegs, I get beer flowing back through the gas line towards the regulator. I turn the gas on before had and make sure I got pressure. Regulator is set at about 12 psi. I just don't understand what's going on. After I rack, does the brew go back into some sort of slight fermentation phase that puts pressure inside keg that's higher than the pressure coming out of the regulator? Since obviously some brew gets into the gas line, I drain all I can, but there is still some residue of brew left inside the line. Do I have to clean those gas lines immeadiately, or can it wait. Regulator, lines, manifold, CO2 tank and keg is inside the kegerator. The kegs condition in the pantry.

If hbt gets blocked again , try this , it was created to act as a valid techie website, but gives you access to hbt.
http://www.computerhelpsupport.com/forum/signin.php?action=switch

Well, yes you should clean them up pretty fast. Like today , tomorrow. They will be a breeding ground for bacteria and nasties, and you dont want the beer backing up into your regulator as it can cause damage.

Now how to prevent it. The easy way is to not fill the keg up all the way up to the gas diptube. Second always have the gas turned on, then bleed the keg a bit, before connecting the gas line. Now, eventually you want to get check valves installed atleast on the gas out barb closest to the regulator. The check valve prevents this back up and prevent any liquid backing up into the regulator. Goodluck.

Roger that. The manifold "supposedly" had check valves in them. I was quick to turn off the gas line when I saw foam shooting up in there. But, none the less, I couldn't get all the foam out of the line by simply turning off the gas, taking the disconnect apart and then letting it drain. I was under the impression with the line being in the kegerator and being filled with CO2 gas, that nothing would grow in that environment, at least I'd hope. Brew was not up to the gas diptube, close, but not all the way. Oh, thanks for that link!!

Like he said above. Easiest/quickest solution would be to bleed the relief valve a bit before connecting the gas and making sure the line you are connecting is on and and full of pressurized gas. That way it wont be so charged up when you connect it that the positive pressure in the keg causes backflow into the gas line..

Happened to me on the first keg when I switched over, and I just got a new gas line. I didn't like the idea of old sugary stuff sitting in there waiting for bad things to start eating it on their way to my beer!

Latest posts

Back