Ok dumb question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creepersale

Reaction score
Got my first can of coopers lager. The can says makes 23 L which is over six gallons right. One liter is 3.79 gallons . Ok but everything I read says it makes 5 gallons. ! I'm I over looking something or just looking to hard !! Lol

23 L is about 6 gallons. Some extract kits are designed for 6 gallons, most are designed for 5 gallons because most beer brewing equipment kits are set up for 5 gallon batches. You need a 6.5 gal or larger fermenter for 6 gal batches.

- J

Ok but is ther a difference between (5 gallon). And (6 US gallons )?

23L is 5 imperial gallons...not US gallons. that's the issue

damn brits and their off measurments.

1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons

23L works out to 6.072 US gallons by the formula-L x .264 = G. I use cooper's cans as a base in recipes & they're cans are designed for that total amount. But you can cut the top off water to 19L for 5.028 US gallons for more body,ABV,etc. But the difference won't be that much.

23L is 5 imperial gallons...not US gallons. that's the issue

damn brits and their off measurments.

1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons

Kits I made go in imperial gallons. Confusing, but makes for more beer :)

Ok so my coopers can kit( 3.75 lb) can make up to 6 gallons but I'm able to tinker with the volume , for my taste batch to batch??

Yes,you can adjust the total volume to thereby adjust mouthfeel,ABV,etc by a small margin. As I stated earlier,23L = 6.072 US gallons. The formula I gave can help you convert Imperial to US Standard In figuring out how much you want to top off to for total volume.
The aussie's usually top off to 20-21L. I guess that's better from their experiences? But 19L equals 5.016 US gallons. My bad,it was 20L that equals 5.28 US gallons. Got it mixed up in my head.:drunk:

Ok sounds great. Thanks for clarifying my confusion. Thanks. - Sla'inte -

Back