Which Apple Juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
waskelton4 said:
Just called the <strike>hippie</strike> organic food store here and they have two different types of apple juice in the gallon glass jugs.

http://www.solanagold.com/applejuice.htm

and

http://www.knudsenjuices.com/products/detail.aspx?groupID=9&categoryID=55&flavorID=168&productID=238

I'm also planning on fermenting with a nottingham ale yeast.

thoughts?

ws
We obviously don't get either of those brands in the UK but reading through their sites both seem fine. Both appear to be pasturized which means no need to pre-sulphate them before pitching yeast. I'd personally go with a sharper, less sweet one for preference. It'll come through as a better flavoured cider after fermentation - the apple tones will shine through.
I think David_42 uses Nottingham ale yeast - I'm sure he can help on that question!

Simple solution: since they both come in glass jugs, get one of each, pour off a pint for head space, then add your yeast. Nottingham works just fine with ciders, assuming you like dry ciders.

Take notes on how the juice tastes, tart, sweet, whatever strikes you. That will give you a better idea of what to look for in the future. Some of the locals do blends and get specific apples, I just buy juice at the roadside stands.

Nice thing about cider, even though fresh cider is only available in the fall, cider gets better as it ages.

cool
thanks for the replies..

that was my plan.. to just ferment in the jugs they came in.

i'll probably end up getting one of each kind of juice and use 1/2 of the nottingham pack for each.

thanks again!

the addiction continues!

ws

David_42, i was wondering about using nottingham for a batch of cider and had a couple of questions. I was thinking about putting in a little (1/2 a cup maybe) brown sugar in a gallon to give it a nice color and add a little mild sweetness, do you think this would work? Also, just to have an idea, what kind of time frame do you usually see using nottingham on a cider? Thanks

when we did our cider we used an organic juice that was a blend of several different apples.. of course its not ready yet so i cant say whether its good or not..

Back