Shed to Eco-Friendly Brewhaus Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all your support folks. It made me feel better. We buried her next to her dad in our back yard yesterday, so that gave us a sense of closure. But I damn sure miss her greeting me at the door when I come home from work. My house just feels empty now. I think I will brew a batch in her honor.

I will be posting more pics of the cleanout and deconstruction of the shed in the next couple of days.

I noticed on the walls inside, that the studs are not 2X4's they are more like 1X2's. I dont feel comfortable trying to build walls around those, so I think I may end up reframing the walls in the place with the proper studs so that I can insulate it properly.

If you're reframing the walls, wouldn't it just be easier to start from scratch? Demo that thing, keep the floor beams and start over. I'm sure you could salvage the roof for reattaching.

By looking at your pictures I think you walls are made from 2x3s or 2x6s ripped in half. These should be more than strong enough for your project. The only down side is you don't have as much room for insulation. However you could fur them out with 2x2s to get more insulation space.

Steve

If you're reframing the walls, wouldn't it just be easier to start from scratch? Demo that thing, keep the floor beams and start over. I'm sure you could salvage the roof for reattaching.

Essentially that is what I will end up doing, I got an excellent price on 2X4's or I may just use the studs that are there. I have to take a good look at them and judge the stability of the walls.

Started cleanout of the building today, freecycling a bunch of stuff. Most of it was stuff I didnt even know was in there. Freecycled a twin bed frame, computer desk, cat carriers, car parts, various hand tools I dont need.

Next step will be to tear the old roof off and replace it. Next update in a couple days...

:mug:I know its been a while since the last update but here is the progress so far:

1. Cleaned out all contents of the shed, freecycled most materials I didnt need.

2. Pulled up rotted wood from the floor so the floor beams are exposed.

3. Replaced 1 broken floor beam ( NO TERMITES!!!)

4. Began to lay down new plywood and vapor barrier on the underside of the floor beams.

Next Steps:

1. Finish plywood on underside of the floor beams.

2. Lay R-38 insulation in floor.

3. Lay plywood sheeting over insulation to finish floor.

4. Fir out wall posts with 2X2's and install vapor barrier and plywood siding.

5. Run electrical wiring for hook up to solar/wind generators with grid power backup.

6. Insulate walls with R-10 foam and R-38 fiber insulation.

7. Plywood inside walls.

8. Begin construction of walk in cooler area.

Latest posts

Back