Making a manifold copper or pcv ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgable

Reaction score
I am going to be making a manifold soon to make the jump to all grain.I was wondering what the advantages of using copper over pcv are. also what diameter to use . the one thing i see may be a problem is getting all the shavings out of the pcv from cuttong the slots.

The answer you get will depend on who you ask.
Copper users will say copper pvc will say pvc.

I say copper. (Guess what I use)

I think I've read you should use CPVC not PVC though.

wihophead said:
PVC is rated at 140°F while CPVC is rated around 200°F

By "rated" he means it begins to lose strength. But the more important aspect, just so we're clear, is that PVC leaches nasty chemical stuff into the water (or wort) above that temperature.

I read about it earlier. It's a serious health issue. I wouldn't do it.

Embarrassing story to keep you from making the same mistake: I bought all the connectors and such to make a PVC manifold. Then I ready about the nasty chemicals that leach out. I went out and bought copper tubing. I'm not a real paranoid person when it comes to my health, but some things you don't need to tell me more than once...

CPVC is designed for use in applications like carrying hot water through your home. It will not leach chemicals at mash temperatures. It is also much cheaper than copper, and in some respects, more durable.

Copper is shiny and looks cool.

They are pretty similar when it comes to the end product.

I'm building up to AG and I choose to use copper. What size 1/2" or 3/4"? also the valve should it be SS? Someone posted something about brass being a problem. I'll use 70 quart rectangle cooler.

Latest posts

Back