How Does IPA Grab YOU???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrb

Reaction score
Took the Frank Ellis recipe from Beer Beer & More Beer (which is very, very tasty) and modified it a bit, using mostly leftover ingredients and this is what I got.

Roadrunner IPA (One crossed my path as I came home to ice my brew.)

9lbs Extra Light Malt Extract
1/2lb Crystal 60
3/4lb Crystal 75
1/2lb Crystal 120
5oz Chocolate Malt

1oz Nugget (60 minutes)
6oz Dextrose (30 minutes)
2.5oz Willamette (10 minutes)
3oz Cascade (final 1 minute)

California Ale Yeast (YLP001)

I shook the HELL out of this and it went NUTS.
It's slowing down to about a bubble every 2 seconds now.
Can't wait to rack to second then taste in 3 weeks.
(It sure tasted WONDERFUL before I pitched it.)

What do you ALL think????

Im not sure it will be an IPA, but that is not to say that it wont be good beer. To me it looks like a lot of crystal, all of it dark, and chocolate malt for the style you were shooting for.

It will be hoppy, but dark for an IPA.

- magno

magno said:
It will be hoppy, but dark for an IPA.

- magno
Just what I was thinking. It will taste good but be on the dark side. Willamettes are a nice hop though.......my favorite at the moment.

Agree it will be good but pretty dark, that's a lot of crystal and never heard of chocolate malt in an IPA at all. Sounds like an IPA with some stout mixed in..

I guess thats what ya get from left over stout and IPA ingredients. It looks great. Not really that dark so far, but it still has a lot of settling to do. I got the chocolate idea from a recipe I read somewhere.

Guess I stick to the lighter side of things to make a true IPA.

OR

I just started a NEW STYLE an IDA!!!! (or maybe not)

Thanks for the info.

Rogue makes a very dark beer with tons of hops, it's called "Brewer" and it kicks ass! I want to brew a dark hoppy beer..people don't expect it.

Dan

Back