Advice on killing mold in chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velorider11

Reaction score
Hi, I've just gotten an old chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber and it works fine but has black spots of what I assume is mold throughout. Any advice on the best way to get rid of it? Also, I was going to try the aquarium heater in a bucket technique to keep temps in proper range but won't that encourage growth of mold from the moisture? Thanks

Spray it down with bleach then wash it out with hot water should take care of it. As for keeping it out... one of those dehumidifier buckets will probably help.

a dilute mixture of bleach and distilled vinegar will kill just about anything... including many spores resistant to other disinfectants. It's much more effective than bleach alone. Mix 1 cup bleach in 1 gallon water and add 1 cup distilled 5 or 6% vinegar to that. Spray on, let sit for a while, then dry off as well as possible.

Just be careful ! Was relining a walk in freezer w/SS Alot mold.I got worst lung infection , Use caution I would prob wear mask Clorox wipe gently make sure to pitch towels away (Dont want any 1 else in garabage to come in contact with these spores)Clorox w/ water will def kill it ,go w/Tun also seems no about vinegar thing . Also read can on Lysol spray the crapper kind that stinks kills everything know to man couldnt hurt few sprays periodicly I wouldnt think

Hi, I've just gotten an old chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber and it works fine but has black spots of what I assume is mold throughout. Any advice on the best way to get rid of it? Also, I was going to try the aquarium heater in a bucket technique to keep temps in proper range but won't that encourage growth of mold from the moisture? Thanks

If you are are fretting about the mold in the chest freezer, just wait until you do the aquarium heater in a bucket technique! Keeping a standing pool of water at 60-65F for a month will grow all kinds of nasties!

I've used the aquarium heater in a bucket thing for a couple of winters now, but I think I'm going to the ferm-wrap idea this winter.

Good luck!

Once you have got rid of the existing mold, I would recommend DampRid. You can get a small tub from Home Depot for about $3. I put it in the bottom of my freezer and it absorbs any moisture. You find it next to the paint thinners.

Back