Can Activator (Smack) Packs Burst from CO2 Production?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I smacked a couple of Wyeast 125mL Activator Packs yesterday morning. By last night, the London ESB was puffed up fully, while the Belgian Wheat was hardly swollen at all. However, by this morning, the Wheat had started to expand.

I'm brewing tomorrow afternoon, and I was planning on brewing the starter batch tonight, as I've read that it will reach its max cell count at 8-18 hours. Is there any possibility that the ESB pack could burst from the CO2? Anyone ever seen this happen? I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and bite the bullet, and brew a starter batch on my lunch break.

put it in the fridge until a few hours before you need it.

Once, those packs are stronger than you think. Also, once the food is gone, that's as tight as they get. I wouldn't fridge it, but a cool (55F) place isn't a bad idea.

I've had split a seam on a smack pack which made a bit of a mess because yeast slurry was then sprayed over a countertop and on some of the kitchen gadgets on the table.

I usually put the pack in the sink when I get up on brew day and cover it with a dish towel. Then when I get home from work it's ready to go. Then again the dish towel hasn't ever been needed sicne I started doing it. *shrug*

I've gone 36 hours in a warm room without incident. They make those things to be able to withstand a full-blown rager.

Cool, good to know. Just askin, because I've actually ruptured a pack by smacking it too hard.

Smacking it too hard is fun, though...:D

Used a smack pack for the first time this weekend. I believe it was the American that I got in a High Gravity Brew kit.

I smacked it when I woke up, and about four hours later it was puffed up to the point that I thought it would burst. I assumed that the package was designed to handle the pressure, though.

After the pack had been smacked for about five hours it did break through at the top of the pack. Didn't cause an explosion but did release a puff of air. I pitched it about a half hour later.

Yeah, everything has its limits. I gotta say, it's impressive that those little yeasties can do that, though...

Back