Scottish Ale Yeast Optimum Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tech211

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a scottish export using wyeast scottish ale yeast. Wyeast gives an extremely wide temperature range. I know that scottish ales are meant to be fermented low, but what is the best temperature in your experience? I am currently at 57F.

I brewed mine last winter at ~55* with the Scottish ale yeast and was happy with the results.

I've got a Wee Heavy with the Wyeast Scottish yeast in primary at about 56-57F, it's been about two weeks, it's attenuated just fine, and tastes great, so it's been so far so good at the lower end range for the yeast.

57F should be great. It should produce a nice clean malty flavor. If you go for the other end of the range I believe it gets pretty fruity which for another type of beer you may want.

I have 60/- going at 60F right now. I will lower the temp to condition it later to the low to mid 50's. Scottish ales from my understanding (reading Daniels) are bordering on lager-like fermentation. In fact lagers gained popularity in Scotland before anywhere else in the UK.

Latest posts

Back