Northern English Brown Ale Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffin-tail

Reaction score
Hello,i made a recipe for a northern english brown ale and i would like to hear some feed back and see what you guys think of it!!
OG 1.052 FG 1.013
ABV 5.15 IBU 25.98 SRM 18.86

60 minute boil
recipe is ...

8 oz of chocolate malt
6 oz of crystal 40L
6 LBS of pilsen DME
.75 oz admiral alpha 14.5 (40 min)
1 oz challenger alpha 8.5 (flame out)
wyeast london ale

directions steep grains for 20 minuets at 150 degrees
bring to boil and add all DME
Start timer for 60 minutes
add .75 oz of admiral hops 20 minutes into boil (40 mins till end of boil)
add 1 0z of challenger hops at flame out !
pitch wyeast london ale.
sit in primary 1 week
sit in secondary 1 week
bottle condition for 2-3 weeks
....well i think thats it.. let me know how it sounds, thankyou!

I wouldn't bother throwing it in a secondary. I would also put in a little munich as well. Not sure if Pilsen is the best choice for this, but I have no experience with the style, so maybe someone else can help you there. What you have will make beer though.

Thanks for you opinion Muckdog! I could see where your getting at with using pilsen dme, however i found a brown ale recipe in my beer recipe book and tweaked it around alittle bit. The recipe called for extra light dme...but my LHBS didnt have extra light and he said pilsen was close enough. I though that since im having 8 oz of chocolate and 6 oz of crystal 40L, a darker malt extract might be over whelming. All in all, i brewed it 2 days ago it smelled and tasted great, nice rich brown color, and has blow off coming through the blow off tube..its fermenting like crazy!

Should be good- depending on the color of your chocolate malt you might want to reverse the amounts for the chocolate and the crystal. Let us know how it turns out!

tomorrow will be the beers 3rd week sitting in the primary fermentor! ....i was too lazy to transport it to a secondary carboy, so i just let it do its own thing in the primary... And i hope to bottle it tomorrow and let it condition for 2-3 weeks! .....using honey as a priming sugar!!! it looks great, nice dark rich color..and im sure it will smell great when i take the stopper out of the carboy tomorrow!!!

I love this style, especially the ones that stay on the less bitter end of the range, like this one. I use East Kent Goldings to about 22 IBU plus 1 oz of the same for 5 minutes for aroma; I'd be interested in tasting yours with the Admiral and Challenger.

thanks for your interest in the recipe MannyEdwards!!! I bottled it thursday night, and my goodness!!! I had a small glass while i was bottling and it tasted amazing!! Nice dark color, a spicy hop aroma coming from the challenger hops with a little bit of chocolate aroma coming through after the hops!! The taste is super balanced, a nice malty taste from the crystal malt and chocolate malt, and a nice little hop bite at the end. Its such a simple recipe but taste super great, I cant wait for this to fully carbonate and enjoy it ice cold!!!!!!!!:ban::mug:

Back