Need help building my Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonzoAPD

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been working on my mash tun. Hit a little snag however. I need to find a way to get the ball lock to be sealed against the cooler. I haven't been able to find any washers at home depot to do this. I used a 1/2 by 2 1/2 in nipple attached to my 1/2 in ball valve. Can anyone tell me where I can get some washers to take care of the gap and a locknut or something to keep it in place?

In the inside I have this attaching to a CPVC pipe system which screws onto the nipple. Here are some pictures.

photo.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

I have done exactly like you did. I kept the rubber washer that the cooler had, then I took a couple of 3/4 washers and fitted it on the nipple (You might have to file the inside diameter of the washers). Then you take a 1/2in female coupling that fits what you will use as a filter in the cooler.

I never had a leak with it

In addition to the stainless steel washers you will also need a silicone washer at least on the inside to stop it from leaking. You are going to need a LOT of washers or else a shorter threaded fitting the goes from the valve through the wall of the cooler.

I have no advise about where to get the hardware except a good hardware store.

I looked at the DIY thread and decided I didn't want to have to search for all the parts and bought my valve assembly from Northern Brewer. It ended up only a few $ more anyway.

I have done exactly like you did. I kept the rubber washer that the cooler had, then I took a couple of 3/4 washers and fitted it on the nipple (You might have to file the inside diameter of the washers). Then you take a 1/2in female coupling that fits what you will use as a filter in the cooler.

I never had a leak with it

I don't need a coupling as this is what I am attaching to the nipple. What I need is something to fit in between the wall of the inside of the cooler and this female attachment which is attaching my cpvc connection.

photo5.jpg

The coupler you have, either needs to be shorter, or you need to add a ton more SS washers on the outside, to pull the inside against inside of the cooler. Also add a silicone washer on the inside.

The coupler you have, either needs to be shorter, or you need to add a ton more SS washers on the outside, to pull the inside against inside of the cooler. Also add a silicone washer on the inside.

How do I get the stainless steel washers to go further down the nipple? That is as far down as I was able to get one to go.

Where can I get silicone washers that size? Home depot doesn't sell them

You need to put more washers on the outside, and probably one on the inside to hold your o-ring in place.

Putting more(probably 2-3 total) will pull the nipple out further so you dont have so much on the inside.

Another washer inside will give you some compression from that side to hold a O-Ring in place, then you screw your plastic connect on and your set.

For example on standard round igloo coolers you need to put 2-3 Stainless washers on the outside and one on the inside.

It looks like you have one SS washer already, honestly i would go to home depot and buy some brass ones for the outside as they wont be in contact with the wort anyways...and use the SS one on the inside. Otherwise your looking at spending about 2 bucks per washer from a homebrew shop.

You will need to play with washer count outside until you only need 1 washer on the inside so that there is barely enough nipple showing so you can barely get your plastic bit on the threads, that way when you do screw it on you can really crank on it and get it pushing up against the inner washer to keep the O Ring in place.

You need to put more washers on the outside, and probably one on the inside to hold your o-ring in place.

Putting more(probably 2-3 total) will pull the nipple out further so you dont have so much on the inside.

Another washer inside will give you some compression from that side to hold a O-Ring in place, then you screw your plastic connect on and your set.

For example on standard round igloo coolers you need to put 2-3 Stainless washers on the outside and one on the inside.

I started out with a 1 & 1/2 in nipple but it was way too small. The cooler thickness is 3/4 in. My pictures are of the 2 & 1/2 nipple. Do you think the 2 in setup on the link you sent would work?

According to their site for 3/4ths inch you should get the 2" nipple.

I edited my post, as it was a bit hasty to recommend buying new things after i looked at the image.

Here's the link regardless if you do go that path
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=47&product_id=85

I think you may be able to get away with some extra brass spacer washers on the outside, assuming you can find a proper 1/2 Silicon O-Ring that will seal your hole on the inside you can use that current SS washer to hold in place. I'm assuming you could find those at a home depot or maybe a NAPA or some other car shop?

Having the lock nut helps a ton, because you are then using that to keep pressure against the walls and you can use a wrench to torque on it good without worrying about it breaking.

The bad part about not using one as you may find out is you may have to crank your plastic connector bit down so tight to keep the inside washers against the wall that you crack or break it.

How do I get the stainless steel washers to go further down the nipple? That is as far down as I was able to get one to go.

Where can I get silicone washers that size? Home depot doesn't sell them

I couldn't find a silicone washer at Home Depot or Lowes. I ended up going to Ace Hardware for that.

FuzzeWuzze said:
According to their site for 3/4ths inch you should get the 2" nipple.

I edited my post, as it was a bit hasty to recommend buying new things after i looked at the image.

Here's the link regardless if you do go that path
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=47&product_id=85

I think you may be able to get away with some extra brass spacer washers on the outside, assuming you can find a proper 1/2 Silicon O-Ring that will seal your hole on the inside you can use that current SS washer to hold in place. I'm assuming you could find those at a home depot or maybe a NAPA or some other car shop?

Having the lock nut helps a ton, because you are then using that to keep pressure against the walls and you can use a wrench to torque on it good without worrying about it breaking.

The bad part about not using one as you may find out is you may have to crank your plastic connector bit down so tight to keep the inside washers against the wall that you crack or break it.

Thanks for your link. I returned the 2 & 1/2 in nipple and ordered the kit since the parts would be more expensive than the kit.

Back