Adding Orange Zest while kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armen_Tamzarian

Reaction score
Can I just zest, say 2 oranges for a 5 gallon batch, and throw it in the corny keg while kegging? I don't really see how this could damage the beer, just wondering how long it would be present/if at all. I'm brewing a honey orange hef BTW. Thanks!

Can I just zest, say 2 oranges for a 5 gallon batch, and throw it in the corny keg while kegging? I don't really see how this could damage the beer, just wondering how long it would be present/if at all. I'm brewing a honey orange hef BTW. Thanks!

Nope wouldn't hurt the beer at all. I'd just be worried about clogging the line up. I know that the zest sinks to the bottom and if it picked up by the dip tube, some of the pieces may not pass through poppet.

Interesting. I may just add the zest tomorrow to my Secondary, thinking I'm going to have a keg free up very soon. Thanks for the advice.

I use orange zest in a hob bag at flame out in a few recipes (wit, blonde, american wheat). I am curious to try it in the keg. Could be interesting.

Eric

Is Orange Zest sanitary? Would you have lots of bacteria and wild yeasties on the skin of an orange?

I'm going to drop it in the day before a party where it will all be consumed. If it were going to sit longer I'd be more worried about it.

Back