Please help clarify

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magarnigel

Reaction score
So I am about to do my first all-grain batch and I need a little clarification on the directions I got with the ingredients. They read as follows:

Time Step
2 min- Mash in; Mash in 4.38 gal of water at 161.4F
75 min- Hold mash at 150.0F for 75 min
2 min- Mash out; add 2.80 gal of water at 200.0F
10 min- Hold mash at 168.0F for 10 min
-- Sparge with 2.13 gal of 168.0F water

What I'm not totally clear on is, during that process am I adding water the whole time without draining any until the addition of the sparge water? Or am I supposed to be draining the wort each time before I add more water? I would appreciate the help.

For batch sparging, I would vorlauf untill clear and then run out your tun. Add additional sparge water either all at once or split between 2 additions. Stir, rest for 10 min, vorlauf, drain, repeat.
Fly sparging is a continous slow addition of sparge water while slowly draining after the vorlaufing.
Bull

it depends on the method of sparging you're doing and how much your MLT can hold. do a search on batch sparge and you'll get a lot of info. I would really suggest reading the all grain primer by bobby_m

basicaly, you start to drain the wort, and recirculate the first couple quarts to help clarify and set the grain bed. then after draining the first running's, you add the amount of sparge water that you'll need to get to your pre-boil volume. if may be MORE or LESS than what is listed in your kit. stir and let settle. recirculate the first couple quarts again and then drain.

Latest posts

Back