Barleywine remains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno

Reaction score
Making a barleywine with a 21lb grain bill for a 5.5 gal batch. What would be an extra brew to make by sparging the remaining grains? I've got 3 lbs of light dme to boost up the gravity if the grains are too spent. The grain bill is 80% MO, the rest is munich, victory and .25 lb chocolate malt. I've got plenty of yeasts and hops .....just not sure what to put together. Any ideas?? THanks Ryno:rockin:

Just check the gravity of your non-barleywine runnings and be prepared to adjust the hopping. It'll be some kind of Anglo/American Pale Ale depending on the hops and yeast.

You can also "Top Off" the mash with some more specialty grains to make the second beer be darker than the first, to go into porter or stout territory.

Edit: Actually, be prepared to adjust the hopping of both beers. The 021a Partigyle Old Ale you see in my sig came in WAY over the gravity I expected and was under hopped. Have a lot of extra hops on hand.

Back