pitched yeast to late???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

givemaboot

Reaction score
I brewed a porter on Saturday. I had enough grain and hops left over (and an extra 4 hours)so I brewed up the rest. everything went just fine until I realized that I had no yeast packets left!:eek:(i buy a dozen at a time). I quickly cooled it and put it in a sanitized glass carboy with an airlock .This was at about 7:30 pm on Saturday. I had to wait until my LHBS opened on Monday. I had to wait until about 4:00 on Monday to pitch my yeast(safale -US-50). Did I wait to late to pitch my yeast? It is currently fermenting, but not as vigorously as normal. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The only concern is that it may have been infected during the long dormant stage. If some kind of bacteria takes hold, you will know in a hurry. The only reason it is important to get the yeast pitched quickly is to prevent this infection and hope that the yeast will out compete and bugs.

If your sanitation is fine, then you're fine.

Lately, I've been waiting around 12-15 hours to pitch because my ground water is only chilling to mid-80s.

how long will it take for me to find out if it is infected? What would an infection look like? will i see it or will it have to be tasted?

I wouldn't worry about it, think of all the people (myself included) who has waited 2 or 3 days for any fermentation activity even after pitching right away.

If you chilled it quickly and put it into a sanitized, air-locked carboy, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

on my first AG i had no chiller so i waited about 24 hours before pitching and everything turned out just fine. in fact it was my best tasting original recipe to date.

Back