Mac endorsement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is way to run PC programs on a MAC without virtual pc or parallels, its called WINE. I installed it and downloaded the Beersmith demo and it worked great. Follow the instructions carefully. You need to use the Terminal Application for installing and running the PC program, but it's not difficult if you follow the instructions.

http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Dtrain

So wait, you don't utilize moonbeams? I thought you had to take into account the gravity of the blue smoke to determine the utilization of the moonbeams when booting up?

There is way to run PC programs on a MAC without virtual pc or parallels, its called WINE.
Dtrain

It is also called, just boot in Windows. Now that macs are intel based chipsets windows can run natively.

From the apple site.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/

It runs Windows, too.
Have a Windows application you need to use once in a while? No problem. Every new Mac lets you install Windows XP and Vista and run them at native speeds, using a built-in utility called Boot Camp.

Setup is simple and safe for your Mac files. After you’ve completed the installation, you can boot up your Mac using either Mac OS X or Windows. (That’s why it’s called Boot Camp.) Or if you want to run Windows and Mac applications at the same time — without rebooting — you can install Windows using VMware or Parallels software.*

So wait, you don't utilize moonbeams? I thought you had to take into account the gravity of the blue smoke to determine the utilization of the moonbeams when booting up?

Shhh... don't give away all the secrets ;)

If the magic blue smoke ever escapes, we are all doomed.

I've had mixed results with Wine on OS X. Beersmith runs fine under it :)

After 5 minutes, I am getting really concerned. What is the hidden menace in my new laptop?

Finally we get it out of him.

THEY DON'T BREAK. (except the occasional mechanical part like the cd drawer) They don't crash. They don't get viruses. They don't need his services...............

FWIW, I've been working with brand new iMac desktops and laptops for the last month with little interruption. My project since then has been to deploy a gaggle of them to one of our new buildings. Up to this point, I have been a non-Mac user pretty much exclusively.

My project has involved installing, formatting, building working images, joining to 2 directories and deploying these things.

• They do freeze. Hard freezes, program crashes with "do you want to ignore this program that shutdown unexpectedly" type errors, spinning beachball of death (SBBOD - look it up if you haven't seen it yet)...etc.
  • They do break. I just hauled the first one up to our local Mac dealer for repair. Even with full logging turned on, no reasons come up as to what is broken. It is completely unusable. I expect this type of scenario every now and then because even though they are "Apple" computers, they are made with the same guts that PCs are made out of. They will break too, just that you can't really fix them yourself since Apple can't tolerate anyone peeking under the hood at any of their products. Weak.
  • For the record, in my 13 years of IS experience, the only computer that burst into flames and burned itself nearly completely (and the desk that it was on) was an iMac laptop about 3 years ago. Granted, I did hear of a colleague that had his apartment burn down because of a faulty Dell laptop power supply...

They are neat computers, but they're also just so bleeding expensive. MacOSX (I speak of 10.6+ since that is all I have experience in) is nice, clever, and well thought out, but like others have said, Windows 7 is getting much better too. It should also be noted that MacOSX(10.6.3) isn't without bugs. We just submitted one to Apple last week. It happens. If only Microsoft would get a better filesystem...

Good to know!

For my non-hardcore usage, it seems way better than any PC I have ever used, but most work PC's I've had access to are not the latest greatest, definitely not windows 7.

Back