Things Carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPin

Reaction score
So... I'm not really sure that this fits into the soda forum but...its not like it can be put anywhere else.

A friend and I were enjoying a desert the other night; its one of SWMBO classics it consists of Orange Jello mixed with Lemon pie filling and then chilled and topped with whipped cream....VERY YUMMY.

Now; my friend and I enjoy carbonated things and we came up with a bright, or dimly lit, idea to try carbonating Jello...... :confused: :confused:

So it began. It started with thinking of HOW and that was easy. As it happens I have a 20lb bottle of CO2 and he has the packets for Jello and so it began. We mixed up the Jello as per the cold crash instructions... 1 cup hot water to the jello and mix it then add several large ice cubes. Once that was all done into a 2L soda bottle for carb'ing up.

30 PSI under a carbonator cap... shake for about 1 -> 2 minutes. I released the pressure and squeezed out all the air that I could then hit it again under 30psi and set it in the fridge.

It set up in about 2 hours... tonight I will see if i have fizzy jello. If this works its on to finding a way to make larger batches without having to cut up a 2L bottle (we get deposit back on those at recycling here in Canada).

--KingPin-- :fro: :rockin: :ban:

About 20 years ago, Jello introduced flavors that were specifically branded as "sparkling":
jell-o-gelatin-dessert-57667.jpg

I'm not sure if they're still around in that format.

IIRC the instructions were to mix with 1 cup boiling water to dissolve, let it cool a bit then mix with 1 cup cold sparkling beverage (champagne, ginger ale, sprite, seltzer, whatever). It's still a thing if you search for "Sparkling Jello Shots", though the white grape jello is no longer available. It seems white grape anything is hard to come by these days, unless I'm shopping at all the wrong stores, but that's another rant for another time.

Given the semi-solid nature of Jello, I would imagine that it should still carbonate even after it's in its solid form. It would be tedious, but one might be able to carefully stack chilled portion cups of Jello into a corny keg and then pressurize to 30psi or so and let it sit for a day or two. You should come up with a decent product.

Let me know how the 2L bottle goes.

Turns out its got quite a good kick to it...more than just using sprite or 7up i would say (i've had that before at church functions...similar to like green jello with carrots or something :p )

Anyway -- It would be nice to try and find a way to do a larger volume. The kids sure enjoyed it and it was a fun thing to make.

As I said before I really need to try and find a way to do this so I dont have to sacrifice the soda bottle each time.

:D

yeah, i used to make a sparkling lambic jello. **** was yummy.

on a side note, if you get a co2 charger, the ones we use in restaurants, alot of them have space to put things alot of people dont think about. we used to fill the container with grapes and charge them. eating a carbonated grape is pretty fun.

Maybe try Junket Danish Dessert, which is a delicious pudding rather than a jell. It's really good runny, so you could add extra water and it should be pourable carbonated out of the bottle. If you prefer, it can be almost as hard as jello too.

I haven't seen it for years, but for the first time I see you can order 12 packs online. I remember it as a sumptuous berry flavored alternative to junk food jello, but now comparing the ingredients label it appears both are mainly thickener, sugar, and a trace of fake flavor. At least the Danish appears to use tapioca to thicken, while jello's generic term gelatin is suspect for being based on horse hooves and other nasty parts.

Turns out its got quite a good kick to it...more than just using sprite or 7up i would say (i've had that before at church functions...similar to like green jello with carrots or something :p )

Anyway -- It would be nice to try and find a way to do a larger volume. The kids sure enjoyed it and it was a fun thing to make.

As I said before I really need to try and find a way to do this so I dont have to sacrifice the soda bottle each time.

:D

Yeah, never been a fan of carrots in Jello. I think I've only seen/tried it once, though.

As far as larger volume, how much are you planning on making? I would suggest a corny keg, but you'd have to have an awfully long handled spoon to dig it out with.:)

My Brother in law is a bit of a tinkerer. We are currently trying to find an older pressure cooker then drill out the pressure relief valve and then use a tap and die set and put in a pin lock valve to connect with the carbonator cap on the co2 tank.

We are trying to overcome the issue that the pressure cooker cannot nearly handle 30 psi (more like 18) so longer times under pressure would be required. But this opens up other windows to other types of interestingly carbonated deserts...... I'm not sure if this is taboo territory or not :p

KingPin

Yeah, never been a fan of carrots in Jello. I think I've only seen/tried it once, though.

As far as larger volume, how much are you planning on making? I would suggest a corny keg, but you'd have to have an awfully long handled spoon to dig it out with.:)

Just don't blow anyone up.

I can tell you from experience that carbonated yogurt is interesting. Though General Mills didn't seem to see much success from their Fizzix Gogurts. They didn't seem to last long, anyway. I think it reminded too many people of something spoiled. I heard rumors they were still hanging on to the manufacturing patent license, though.

Back