Skimming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK OK, I know that I'm going to get hammered by the RDWHAHB people, and yes I do tend to obsess a little, but....when you all skim during the boil, are you doing this frequently, even after you start hop additions? I use pellets and they usually sink right into the boil. I do avoid skimming the green stuff when I see it make it to the top, but I like to skim right through the whole boil. Does this sound excessive?

skim? skim what? you put something in the kettle you don't want there?

I never have skimmed anything off my beer- after the hot break, there isn't anything there to skim off.

Just bring it to a vigorous boil, until after the "hot break" and voila! The stuff is magically all gone. I do strain it, going into my fermenter, by pouring it through a sanitized strainer. That keeps out the hops particles and junk.

I never skim. In fact, I don't strain when I move the wort to the carboy, and all my beers come out just fine. I do use that whirling cone stir method, or whatever you call it, to get all the hops piled up in the middle of the pot, but other than that, I just let it all get in there. It settles out after fermentation anyway.

WormBoy said:
OK OK, I know that I'm going to get hammered by the RDWHAHB people, and yes I do tend to obsess a little, but....when you all skim during the boil, are you doing this frequently, even after you start hop additions? I use pellets and they usually sink right into the boil. I do avoid skimming the green stuff when I see it make it to the top, but I like to skim right through the whole boil. Does this sound excessive?
I too am a skimmer. its the coagulated protiens your skimming, I would recommend if you use pellet hops (in a fine mesh bag) to stop skiming off those protiens because your getting rid of the oils that float to the top instently. If you use whole hops (like I do) skim till your hearts content but only for about 15-20 min after your first hop addition. Your really just getting rid of the protiens that can cause chill hase.
JJ

I like to skim off everything before the hop additions start. Basically all the protiens that collect leading up to the boil. I have read and seen that it helps to reduce the surface temp of the wort, thus reducing the chances of boil overs.

Cheers

wop31 said:
I...I have read and seen that it helps to reduce the surface temp of the wort, thus reducing the chances of boil overs.

Cheers
Yeah, but then you miss that great smell of smokey, carmelized sugar when you boil over.

I don't skim.

Brewing Clamper said:
I thought that most of the protein that precipitates out was good food for the yeast... did I misunderstand something?

Nearly every source I've seen says to try to leave it behind in the kettle, so it doesn't seem as though it's much help to yeast. I don't bother skimming it, though.

Hi, my name is Ken and I'm a skimmer.

I started skimming when I went AG and the increased wort volume was very close to the top of my brewpot. I skim until the hotbreak occurs. Haven't had a boilover yet, knock on wood. (head)

I sometimes skim. I only skim if no hops have been added and there is a lot of material. And I don't bother skimming every last bit, just the major stuff.

I use a skimmer to stop boil overs, but I don't skim with it. Wire mesh is EXCELLENT at breaking up a boil over.

Back