Smacked pack usage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jubilee

Reaction score
Last night I was cooling my starter wort in the 2L flask and discovered it had cracked...so, no starter last night.

By this time I had already smacked my smack pack and it had just started to swell. After discovering my flask was broken I put the pack back in the fridge. I'm assuming it'll still be usable this weekend, but just wanted to make sure. Is there any reason I should replace this smack pack?

Yup. Good to go. This happened to me and I got in touch with Wyeast and they just said throw it in the fridge and don't worry.

You're fine.

FYI in the future, if you're making a starter there is no need to smack it. Just shake it up and pitch. You don't need the little dab of premade starter wort in that packet if you're making your own. If something goes wrong before you get to pitch, you still have an unmolested smack pack! :mug:

Back