re-pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robd

Reaction score
how long do you have to re-pitch before the batch is ruined its been over 72 hours and no bubbling and gravity is reading the same

No bubbles? Oh man, that brew is ruined. In fact, it's likely to explode, decimating everything within 10 square miles.

Seriously though, we say it every day, often multiple times per day. Airlock activity /= fermentation. I'm going to go out on a wild limb here and guess you're fermenting in a bucket? Most of the time those things don't get perfect seals, so the CO2 isn't forced through the airlock as it is in a carboy. Don't worry, thiswon't hurt your beer. It just means that you don't get to listen to the joyous symphony that is Airlock in C Minor.

Alternatively, if you are using a carboy, there is a chance that fermentation was rapid, and that you missed it entirely. This is even more likely if your fermentation temps are high, say above 70 degrees.

If neither of those are possibilities, let us know and we (or I, if I'm still awake) can walk you through a few other things you can do before you go repitching yeast.

If fermentation has not started then I think you have hit the "proverbial" 3 day mark. Get some dry yeast and repitch.

I agree with Blender...72 hours, if the gravity has not dropped and there's no signs of krausen forming then it's time to repitch ASAP.

There's no set time when the beer is ruined. If you sanitization was good and you get some good yeast into it in a reasonable amount if time it should do fine.

Yeah, it's official. I shouldn't try to dispense advice while on sleeping pills. I totally missed the part where he said the gravity was constant. Go ahead and re-pitch, man.

But the part about ignoring the airlock is still true! :drunk:

Back