Please Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieselBrewery

Reaction score
5.98 lbs. American 2-row
0.33 lbs. Roasted Barley
0.73 lbs. American Black Patent
0.83 lbs. American Caramel 60°L
0.39 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
0.09 lbs. Molasses
0.59 lbs. Oats Flaked
0.26 lbs. Wheat Flaked
1.0 oz. Warrior (Whole, 16.00 %AA) boiled 60 min
0.50 oz. Spalt Spalter (Whole, 4.75 %AA) boiled 15 min
0.50 oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh (Whole, 4.50 %AA) boiled 1 min
Yeast : White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Look like beer. Hard to critique it unless there is something to compare it against, some frame of reference within which to view the recipe.

So tell us: What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to clone something, are you seeking a particular flavor, is there a style you're after, what?

Edit to add:

I just plugged in all the ingredients to ProMash. You realize you're looking at 76 IBU, with an OG of 1048? That's a BU:GU ratio of 1.58, which is waaaaaay high. If you look at this graph, you're off the scale to the right. In my not-so-humble opinion, that's friggin' nuts! Add to that all of the bitter flavors provided by the dark malts. Well, at that BU:GU ratio you're not going to taste much, anyway, so I suppose it's not that important!

Cheers,

Bob

That sure seems like alot of black patent to me, but I'm not a big fan of it anyway. I'd say that with nearly 3/4 pound of black patent, and 1/3 pound of roasted barley, that would be about all that you'd be able to taste. I'd definitely lower the BP to no more than about 4 ounces and adjust some of the hops.

Contrary to Bob (Sorry Bob!) I think the IBUs are fine. I made a similar stout, Warrior makes a very good/smooth bittering hop. Are the AA's on your Spalt actually correct? I've never seen Spalt in the 4% range, mine from a couple weeks ago were 2.1%. BUT. I think the aroma/flavor additions aren't "right" for a stout. I'd leave out the 1-minute hops, as they won't "go with" the sweet and bready and roasty tastes from this stout. I personally would even consider leaving out the 15 minute addition, and sticking *just* to your bittering hop.

I like most of this recipe. I think you should switch the Roasted Barley and the Black Patent quantities, those are a bit out of line. I *LOVE* Molasses in a Porter, but am not so sure about in a stout.... but only 0.1 lbs is NOT a bunch, I put more like 0.5 lb into my porter. So I say stick with it, see how it comes out! (I upped it to an even 2.0 oz Molasses by weight, for simplicity's sake)

Also, if it's truly an Oatmeal stout you're after, use more oats: At least 1 lb. If you're just after a regular stout, consider leaving them out entirely, and adding 1lb of base grain instead.

I reformulated this just a little bit for you. Tell me what you think.D

Diesel Brewery Stout
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
14.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
12.0 oz Roasted Barley
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt
10.0 oz Oats, Flaked
4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked

2.0 oz Molasses (by weight) (15 min)

1.00 oz Warrior [16.00 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Spalter [4.80 %] (15 min) omit me?

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.25 %
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Est Color: 39.8 SRM

Yeast : White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Your thoughts?

Looks good, but I'd make it a little bigger into the 1.055 - 1.065 range and I'd put about 10% of the grist bill as oats. Sort of a "little" FatDog.

If OP is looking for a regular stout, I'd add flaked barley. I really dig the mouthfeel.

chriso said:
Contrary to Bob (Sorry Bob!) I think the IBUs are fine.

No worries, dude, and no need to apologize. I forgive you if you like IBU levels that will strip the enamel off your teeth. :D I can't stand beers that out of balance.

:D If it were about any other bittering hop (Magnum/Galena/Chinook/Etc) I would say take it back to at least .75 oz, maybe even .5 oz.... but Warrior is just so SMOOTH though. Like a baby's bottom.. Except made of stout. :p

I will concur, though, the IBUs (at least numerically) do put this beer "out of whack" a little... OK a lot.

-You might consider using only .75 of Warrior to bitter, and no late hops.
-You might consider adding more base malt, so that you can "support" the higher IBU level. I'd think about 1.060 OG, which means substitute 8.5 lbs Pale Malt for the 6 lbs originally in the recipe I posted.

@mmb, good call on the Flaked Barley! Yes, if OP wants a regular stout, I would take out both the Oats and the Wheat, and add a lb of Flaked Barley for mouthfeel. For sure. Mmm.

DAG NABBIT now I gotta brew more stout, and soon! I'm craving it!

Hey OP... what do you think about THIS one? Added flaked barley and more base malt, in order to support the IBUs from the Warrior.

Diesel Brewery Stout : Foreign Extra Stout

8.5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.5 lbs Barley, Flaked
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
12.0 oz Roasted Barley
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt

1.00 oz Warrior [16.00 %] (60 min) Hops 55.1 IBU

2.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 1.01 %

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.63 %
Bitterness: 55.1 IBU
Est Color: 39.8 SRM

Here's how that stacks up: Note, BLUE is if you reduce to .75 oz, RED is if you stick to 1.0 oz - Both assume the above (latest) revision with OG of 1.059
2mpipux.jpg

ALSO note: This is an instance in which this graph doesn't quite "work" because the Foreign Extra Stout style dictates OG of 1.056 - 1.075, and IBUs of 30.0 - 70.0. So even if you top out your OG at 1.075 and your IBUs as 70, which are acceptable for a FES style, you are still considered "off the chart" according to the graph.

No matter what, I'd plan on aging it for 2-3 months minimum. I have a friend that ages ALL his stouts, whether 1.040 or 1.080, for a minimum of 6 months before even tasting them. I like them after about 2 months, personally.

Hm. Now I'M starting to like this recipe.

Ur Warriors are broken, send them to me pls for proper disposal. ;)

Back