Belgian-style Rye-PA, suggestions welcome!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

febbrewro

Reaction score
I brewed this Rye-PA last year, and I think it came out nice. The color was a nice coppery orange, the hop aroma was good, and the esters from the Belgian yeast really added a lot to the beer. This is only one of a handful of recipes that I've put together myself, so I'm looking for feedback, and room for improvement from the experts.

I guess my own criticism of it is that it was a bit too bitter, although this mellowed out with a little age. Also, I was hoping the rye flavor would have come out more, 'having 5 lbs of rye in the recipe. Think I need more, or did the hops and other flavors hide the rye a bit?

I'm going to be brewing it again shortly, and if anyone has any good suggestions I'll take them into consideration.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.083 SG
Estimated Color: 13.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 83.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.24 %
5.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 30.62 %
1.00 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
0.33 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.02 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (45 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
1 Pkgs Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 16.33 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 20.41 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

I would do a 3 step infusion mash to get all you can out of the Rye malt.

Most will chime in stating that it is unnecessary due to the higher modification of today's grain, however, I recently did a 3 step infusion mash based on one of Mosher's recipes, and even though my Saccharification rest was at 146F the beer has body and tastes superb!

I would think that 30% Rye malt is more than enough, but the hops, and moreover, the yeast will peobably add enough flavor to drown ou some of your Rye flavor.

Just my .02 cents.
30 minutes at between 95-110F, then a protien rest at 122F, and I would mash lower to make the beer more crisp 148-150 (but that is just me, I think it adds a little bite to the beer)

Again, I'm certain some will disagree with me, but I have had a very successfeul, and inspiring brew with this 3 step approach, it was my first, and it was not difficult at all, so if you are intimidated by a step infusion mash don't be!

How do you do your 3 step infusion? Is there a good online resource or tutorial on how to do it?

I use Beersmith, if you do too, or use some brewing software, which i'd recommend, the first thing you need to do is make sure you have all of your equipment set up as accurately as possible. Second, before you begin brewing, make certain you know the grain temperature, and the temperature of the MLT before you add your strike water, it will make a huge difference when it comes to getting your temperatures accurate, so having said that, be sure to have an accurate thermometer. After you have met all of these requirements it is simple.

In Beersmith, there is an option for a double infusion mash, which is 3 steps.

Protien Rest
Sacch Rest
Mash Out

You can alter the temperatures and times for each of the steps inany way you'd like, you can even change the names, all you need to do is double-click on whichever particular rest you want to alter and change it to reflect what you want.

I setmine up as:
Beta-glucan ~100F 30min
Protien Rest ~122F 30min
Sachh Rest ~146-154 (depending on what characteristics you want)

I try to mash out, but sometimes I fail to get my mash temp high enough when sparging, so I really don't worry about it too much.

Beyond that make sure you get you water to the temps necessary, and follow the brewsheet, also with the amount of Rye Malt you are using make sure use Rice hulls, and don't add them to your recipe in the Beersmith, becasue it will count as a percentage of your recipe, if you want ot add it, it is best to add it to the Miscellaneous Ingredients, so it doesn't comprise of a portion of your grist.

Also, you will end up with a very thick mash for the Beta-glucan rest, and you will have a very thin mash by the time you get to the Saccharification rest, so don't fret, it will be okay.

Otherwise, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Back