campden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhineeaux

Reaction score
so i started brewing my wine last week, openend it last night to test fermentation and i was at 1.010. But of course me being clumsy, i knocked in a spoon that wasnt sanitized. i managed to get it out and i remember someone saying to add campden tablets 1/16th per gallon to ward off any harmful bacteria, i added less that i should have probably 5/16ths. well when i woke up this morning my airlock was BARELY bubbling.

did i kill my yeast?

should i have even added the campden?

this is my first attempt, so i am full of questions!! thanks guys!:mug:

No you shouldn't have added it. You most likely killed your fermentation. At least almost. If anything it will be very slow until it is finished.

When people preach about sanitation, they are making it sound worse than it is. Most likely any bacteria on the spoon would be dead quickly anyway.

lessoned learned, it was one of the cheaper island mist kits, so i would rather learn on this one than other more expensive ones.

i still guess i was close to being finished with fermentation, it is bubbling but VERY slowly. I may rack into secondary tonight.

original SG was 1.065
as of yesterday is was 1.010.

It might be good. A touch on the sweet side. Taste it, imagine it mellowed out, imagine the CO2 gone, and make a judgment call. Stressing the yeast out can do bad things to wine. If you think it is ok now, finish killing it off and let it sit.

racked wine to secondary, it had dropped to 1.009. woke up this morning and it has a little bubbling action again, not sure if it was the airation caused by moving it over or what. Im going to leave it in there for 10 days or so then check again.

fingers crossed.

so you added campden just because you dropped in a spoon?
I don't get people who think that unsanitized is the same thing as filthy,I just rinse my gear before I use it and all is fine.

Latest posts

Back