Can anyone recommend these NB all-grain kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got my mash tun working and not leak through the seal. I am wanting to buy some all-grain kits from Northern Brewer to make my first effort at all-grain brewing. Has anyone used any of these kits below and do you have any recommendations or advice to stay away from a particular kit or yeast choice? I am wanting to order 3-4 kits with crushed grain and do one batch per weekend for a month. Hopefully this is not streching out the freshness of the crushed grain too much.

Northern Brewer All-Grain Kits
American Amber Ale (Safale US-05 or Wyeast American Ale)
American Wheat (Safale US-05 or Wyeast American Wheat)
Bavarian Hefeweizen (Danstar Munich Wheat or Weihenstephan Wheat)
Dry Irish Stout (Safale S-04 or Wyesat Irish Ale)
Dunkelweizen (Danstar Munich Wheat or Weihenstephan Wheat)
Cream Ale (Safale US-05 or Wyeast American Ale)
Dawson’s Multigrain Red (Safale S-04 or Wyeast British Ale II)
Honey Weizen (Safale WB-06 or Wyeast American Wheat)
Irish Red (Nottingham Ale Yeast or Wyeast American Ale II)
Witbier (Brewferm Blanche or Wyeast Belgium Wit)

Thanks for reading through this list.:ban: My SWMBO and I are expecting our first child in mid-May so I want to make some decent brew for her once she can start drinking again.

Mick

I've done the American Amber Ale and the Irish Dry Stout. I have to say I was a little disappointed in the Stout but the Amber Ale was delicious.

I've heard a lot of people recommend the Cream Ale and I think that's on deck for me soon.

I bought two kits from Northern Brewer, they are malt extract kits though.

Dry Irish Stout - I used the Safale-04. It was a really vigorous fermentation. I made the mistake of not making a blowoff tube and had to do some cleaning.

Bavarian Hefeweizen - I choose the Weihenstephan Wheat yeast and brewing it this weekend or next week.

Not really sure why I choose these yeasts, I am new to brewing. I have read somewhere that using a Liquid Yeast is a good choice for a Hefe.

Happy to see one making their beer from fresh all grain natural ingredients and not refined, preservative and additive added, canned commercially processed syrup. That has been chemically treated and filtered to provide a clearer product and less taste. A pleasure of drinking beer is knowing whats in your beer. Try one kit before you buy 3-4 Think about the cost savings of buying grain and hops in bulk and finding recipes online. Learn to farm the liquid yeast that your buying, and how to make starters for them, so that you only have to buy the yeast strain once. Swap yeasts with freinds. Reducing costs is one of many reasons why we brew at home.

Latest posts

Back