Keg Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it's just a waste of sugar. Much cheaper and easier to use your CO2 system to carbonate the beer.

Mikey said:
No, it's just a waste of sugar. Much cheaper and easier to use your CO2 system to carbonate the beer.

Yeah . . . but now he has a keg filled with cask-conditioned ale. Much better IMO.

sonvolt said:
Yeah . . . but now he has a keg filled with cask-conditioned ale. Much better IMO.
I can't believe there is much difference in priming with corn sugar and force carbonating. Someone needs to conduct a test and see if people can tell the difference.
If anything, I wouldn't want the yeast sediment in the bottom of the keg.

One thing I do know is that my kegged beers are much better than anytrhing I ever bottled with corn sugar.

I started priming my kegs with the third one. I always have at lease two or three on hand(or will as soon as keg another:) ) By priming in the keg I can just hook it up, let it settle and cool and I'm ready to go. I don't have to unhook my lines from the kegs in the fridge to force carb the new kegs. I really don't see all that much sediment in the keg when I'm done, what little there is lets me know I'm near the bottom.

RichBrewer said:
I can't believe there is much difference in priming with corn sugar and force carbonating. Someone needs to conduct a test and see if people can tell the difference.

BT,DT, got the T shirt.

No difference.

I prime my kegs. Last time, I forgot to cut the amount of priming DME in half. I primed with a full 1.25 cups! Luckily, I realized my mistake almost immediately and occasional vented the pressure on the keg. I just tapped it about 10 minutes ago with my beer engine, and it is perfect!

Back