<- mushroom grower looking for spent grain in the Manchester CT area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsolvem

Reaction score
Looking for a brewer in the Manchester CT area to take your spent barley, malted ok, I can't use hops but will take them if its a condition for the wort but they must be separate, I use the grain to cultivate gourmet mushrooms if you are interested in a trade (?) Pm me if you are interested. I'm looking for someone brewing about once a month. My friend has fallen on hard times and no longer brews but recommended I try this site. Please help!

To clarify BEFORE you pm me, the mushrooms strains I grow are Pink and white oyster, Morels, and Rishi, only trading white oysters one pound per 5 gallon bucket, and must be in the Manchester, CT area I drive a large truck, so its cheaper to buy wheat than drive 30 minutes each way, thank you guys in the responses, pm me if you have Q's on mushroom cultivation I'll be happy to answer them

OMG, another highly technical, involved, semi-sterile hobby for the obssessive-compulsive. ROFL. I have to try this. I SO wish I lived near Manchester.

Since hops are a natural anti-bacterial, it seems like they'd be good in the grain even though you sterilize it anyway. Do hops inhibit growth, or do they add an off-flavor?

Cromwell said:
Since hops are a natural anti-bacterial, it seems like they'd be good in the grain even though you sterilize it anyway. Do hops inhibit growth, or do they add an off-flavor?

Just so I understand your question, your asking why mushroom mycelium (mold) won't grow on a antibacterial substrate? Lmao yea they inhibit the growth of mycilum of every known saprophytic strain (mushroom making mold) on earth

Cromwell said:
OMG, another highly technical, involved, semi-sterile hobby for the obssessive-compulsive. ROFL. I have to try this. I SO wish I lived near Manchester.

Try super-sterile, autoclaves and lamanar flow hoods are minimum required equipment in the industry, outdoor cultivation would be considered "semi-sterile" but only after inoculation if the bulk substrate

Growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms by paul stamets is a great place to start for cultivation information, the Shroomery.org forum site is great too (I have the same user name there) but most topics there are posted with the understanding you have already read this or comparable books and is more for advanced mycology, I suggest a good field guide on finding wild mushrooms, chanterelles a widely sought mushroom only grows in the wild, it cannot be cultivated because like truffles (the most expensive culinary ingredient in the world) they are mycorrizhal, needing a alkaline (8ph or higher) tree root system as a host, truffles currently sell for $30usd per ounce, $480 per pound!!

FYI: I use the grain as a additive for the mushroom substrate for its texture and simple carbohydrates. You CANNOT fruit mushrooms off spent grains alone, the brewing process strips the already cracked grain of most if its nutriance, has anyone left spent grain outside and find it grew mushrooms? You can use the spent grain as spawn, a way of talking mycilum (mushroom mold) and dispersing it in a bulk substrate (which differs from strain to strain). The only mushroom to be cultivated from spent gains (which are soaked in composting tea to supply nutriance back to the grain) are pscilocybe cubensis (magic mushrooms) which are illegal to cultivate in the states without a permit.

Ah, ok, I guess I didn't equate mushrooms with mold. But I see now that trying to grow mold in hops would be pretty dumb. :D
Thanks for the references, if SWMBO doesn't totally freak, I might try this.
I understand you can't fruit in spent grain alone, but do you have to fortify the grain to spawn? What I read suggests using other grains, but not barley, and certainly not spent barley.
Oh boy, think of the money I'm going to save using my spent grains and used coffee grounds this way. SWMBO will be impressed. Now where do I order a laminar flow hood and autoclave? Hahahahahahahahahahah.
Seriously, I want to try this.

Timely post! I recently have turned over this leaf as a more productive way to use the spent grains from brewing and not make my backyard smell like death and look like a fly-breeding ground from dumping piles of spent grains around trees...still no shrooms for me, though.

A friend had some dowel spawn to inoculate logs, which I tried and am waiting patiently for nothing so far from the logs...but I used some remaining dowels and some used coffee grounds to build up some more spawn which I pitched into a kitchen trash bag full of spent grain from a recent batch. I clearly didn't read enough on the process (more of a WTH kind of moment) but based on Willsovem's comments maybe the mycelium from the dowel/coffee mixture will run through the grain and I'll have enough to do it right. Anyway, here is a link to a pretty simple step-by-step procedure to grow some oyster 'shrooms on spent grain/hay substrate:

http://www.vermontmushrooms.com/indoorcultivationmethods.html

Please share any tips/tricks if anyone has success stories.

Cromwell said:
Ah, ok, I guess I didn't equate mushrooms with mold. But I see now that trying to grow mold in hops would be pretty dumb. :D
Thanks for the references, if SWMBO doesn't totally freak, I might try this.
I understand you can't fruit in spent grain alone, but do you have to fortify the grain to spawn? What I read suggests using other grains, but not barley, and certainly not spent barley.
Oh boy, think of the money I'm going to save using my spent grains and used coffee grounds this way. SWMBO will be impressed. Now where do I order a laminar flow hood and autoclave? Hahahahahahahahahahah.
Seriously, I want to try this.

I'm glad to hear we need more aspiring mycologist, unfortunately the strains most likely to be spawned with or fruit off of are the most difficult to work with, your right about the use of spent grain by others, most work with either rye, wheat, millet, milo, cracked corn, or wbs (wild bird seed), barley works but is expensive, heres a quick break down:

Type price per pound
Rye 1.08
Wheat 1.20
Millet .83
Milo .92
Wbs $10 per 25lbs
Cracked corn $10 per 50lbs
Spent grain cost of gas and time drying

cracked corn contaminates very quickly (google "endospores" its on everything but higher quantities on corn and whole grains) wbs is inconsistent in size and contents and can be treated with fungicides to prevent mold! Most grass seeds are treated too if you where thinking of using it.

Your best chance at success is to go cheap and easy, don't buy "kits" they yield little and teach you less. The easiest mushroom to cultivate is your common button mushroom (agaricus brunnescens), you do not need to sterilize/pasteurized the substrate and can be grown in a large storage tote, don't bother buying spores, clone a proven genome from a store bought one and harvest spores from the ones you grow.

You will need:
A glove box (instructions on the web)
12 quart mason jars
6 pounds organic food grade rye
23 quart pressure cooker (your autoclave)
Pre poured petri dishes (pre sterilized) or make your own (google pda potato dextrous agar)
cleaning supplies
scalpel
Alcohol lamp (for flame sterilization)
Gloves
Tyvek envelopes (free and used as filters for gas exchange)
One agaricus spp. button/crimini/portobello mushroom

In the glove box under sterile conditions, cut the mushroom in half and remove newly exposed tissue from the closests to the bottom of the stem, drop it in the petri dish and seal with micropore tape, leave in the glove box to incubate, once fully colonized, hydrate the rye by soaking for 24hrs with weak coffee and gypsum (5%by vol) boil until grain expands but before they explode, strain, let excess moisture flash off as stream, grains should have a dry look, load into jars, about 3/4 full, the lids should have two 1/8" holes, place a piece of tyvek cut into a circle over the lid, held down by the band and autoclave them for 90mins @15psi or 250°f , after they cool place in glove box, back under sterile conditions, cut wedges of colonized agar out of the dish and place into jar, keep dish and jar exposed as little as possible. Leave in the glove box to incubate (room temps are fine but go warmer than cooler). Shake spawn @10% & 30% colonization to speed up incubation times, you only have ~2 week window to colonize before endospores take over.

After fully colonized spawn to pasteurized straw or un pasteurized horse manure about 10% by weight set this in a 18 gallon tote and let colonize, after colonization "case" with a 50/50 mix post moss and vermiculite at field capasity 4:1 to substrate, use a clear lid to let in ambient light, use duct tape on the sides as high as the depth of your material to prevent side pinning and wait rizomorphs on the surface turn to hypheal knots, that turn into, primordia, that turn into pins that mature into fruit bodies.

Writing this from my phone. But hope it helps

cram said:
Timely post! I recently have turned over this leaf as a more productive way to use the spent grains from brewing and not make my backyard smell like death and look like a fly-breeding ground from dumping piles of spent grains around trees...still no shrooms for me, though.

A friend had some dowel spawn to inoculate logs, which I tried and am waiting patiently for nothing so far from the logs...but I used some remaining dowels and some used coffee grounds to build up some more spawn which I pitched into a kitchen trash bag full of spent grain from a recent batch. I clearly didn't read enough on the process (more of a WTH kind of moment) but based on Willsovem's comments maybe the mycelium from the dowel/coffee mixture will run through the grain and I'll have enough to do it right. Anyway, here is a link to a pretty simple step-by-step procedure to grow some oyster 'shrooms on spent grain/hay substrate:

http://www.vermontmushrooms.com/indoorcultivationmethods.html

Please share any tips/tricks if anyone has success stories.

Use straw, never hay, and make your own spawn from a healthy clone, one quart jar of spawn will inoculate 10 more jars those ten will inoculate 100 and those hundred will inoculate 1000 and so on.. well not really, if I was selling jars of spawn yes, if cultivating no, heres why, organisms have a limited number of cell division before it gets old and dies, the spawn you buy has been so stretched and divided its no longer viable for 100% biological efficiency (1 pound of fresh mushrooms grown from one pound of dry substrate) basically its like asking a 92 year old man to stand up and build a city of cathedrals, and in the link you will see the use of pasteurized straw, oysters grow great from straw alone, but not from spent gain alone... Its just an additive, albiet a good one and that's why I'm here :)

Thanks for your detailed write ups, Willsolvem. I am inspired and now have exactly what I don't need: a new hobby. :mug:

cram said:
thanks for your detailed write ups, willsolvem. I am inspired and now have exactly what i don't need: A new hobby. :mug:

:) pm with any questions along the way, good luck!!

Willsolvem said:
Definitely a guise, its a modified "pf tek method" designed by Pscilocybe Fanaticus "PF"... Spent grains don't have enough nutritional value to fruit mushrooms off of

Let me expand on this, naturally mushrooms do not grow on whole grains, we force mushroom mycilum to colonize whole grains because there size is great for inoculating bulk substrates resulting in hundreds of inoculation points, fruiting off whole grain alone can be done but results in 30-40% biologic efficiency and the fruits them selves are weak due to lack of nutriance, in the case with grains nitrogen is near nothing when compared to straw or hardwoods, the fruit bodies will most likely be hollow and rot quickly, there will be more than average aborts or undeveloped fruits, and this is with whole grain lest alone cracked spent grain from a brewing process...

Also 100% biological efficiency with mushrooms is defined as harvesting one pound of fresh mushrooms to every one pound of dry substrate or 10% dry weight of mushrooms for every pound of dry substrate as mushrooms are 90% water, the method you linked only uses a couple table spoons at best, great for growing minute oysters (there is not enough plant cellulose to grow shiitake like this I'll put money on this) or pscilocybe cubensis...

Be careful of any tek that doesn't use sealed vessels and filtered gas exchange, its most likely written by a tripper with next to no knowledge in mycology and allot of experience in contaminations.

Growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms by paul stamets is a great place to start, there have been some advancements since the book was written but you will catch on quick, good luck.

To clarify BEFORE you pm me, the mushrooms strains I grow are Pink and white oyster, Morels, and Rishi, only trading white oysters one pound per 5 gallon bucket, and must be in the Manchester, CT area I drive a large truck, so its cheaper to buy wheat than drive 30 minutes each way, thank you guys in the responses, pm me if you have Q's on mushroom cultivation I'll be happy to answer them

Wait, how exactly are you able to grow morels? I thought it was nearly impossible. I know it has been done on occasion, but with poor success.

sudsmcgee said:
BTW, I pick tens of pounds of morels every year, so I know how and where they grown.

I learned from methods honed over the last 18 years of mushroom cultivation ;)

. in the case with grains nitrogen is near nothing when compared to straw or hardwoods, the fruit bodies will most likely be hollow and rot quickly, there will be more than average aborts or undeveloped fruits, and this is with whole grain lest alone cracked spent grain from a brewing process...

Actually grains will have more nitrogen than straw or wood....

I love this forum. I can't follow the scientific jargon but I learned a tiny amount of very interesting information. :mug:

pp. 80-82
The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets
Brewers' grains, 3-5% N
Wheat straw, 0.5% N

on pp. 379:
Barley malt: 2.29%
on pp 373:
Rye straw: 0.56%
pp. 381:
Rye grain: 2.02%

pp. 105
The Rodale Book of Composting 1992 ed.
"The nitrogen value of straw is so small that it need not be accounted for in composting"
and starting on pp. 110, the nitrogen content of various materials:
Barley grain: 1.75%
Barley straw: nil
Oat grain: 2%
Oat straw: nil
Wheat grain: 2%
Wheat straw: 0.5%

On wood:
http://www.greensparrowgardens.com/2011/04/sciency-answers-wood-chips-and-nitrogen.html

StMarcos said:
pp. 80-82
The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets
Brewers' grains, 3-5% N
Wheat straw, 0.5% N

on pp. 379:
Barley malt: 2.29%
on pp 373:
Rye straw: 0.56%
pp. 381:
Rye grain: 2.02%

pp. 105
The Rodale Book of Composting 1992 ed.
"The nitrogen value of straw is so small that it need not be accounted for in composting"
and starting on pp. 110, the nitrogen content of various materials:
Barley grain: 1.75%
Barley straw: nil
Oat grain: 2%
Oat straw: nil
Wheat grain: 2%
Wheat straw: 0.5%

On wood:
http://www.greensparrowgardens.com/2011/04/sciency-answers-wood-chips-and-nitrogen.html

I love it and your right! I had not observed the nitrogen content of wet brewer's grain is listed at 3.2-4.42%n!!

I happen to have the pleasure of having a friend in the honey business that gives me all the (yellow) sweet clover straw I need, add brewer's grain and blood meal composted in spent coffee grounds... you already know

Are you a cultivator yourself? If so I have many prints and live cultures for trade/sale

Not sure where the composition tables are in the posted link, help?

More of a hunter these days, although I do ****ake innocs every year.

Link was more to show that wood is pretty low in N, not to show a table. When I mulch with chips in the spring, I usually give the underlying soil a healthy coating of organic ferilizer powder first. Chips are fine on their own, but only for slow-growing ornamentals. Don't be mulching your maters with woodchips if there's and chance they will be rotting along side the crop.

Never used spent malt for propogation, but it would be a fun experiment. Probably need some gypsum. A lot of mycellium is pretty hardy if you noc enough and give the right temp and humidity.

StMarcos said:
More of a hunter these days, although I do ****ake innocs every year.

Link was more to show that wood is pretty low in N, not to show a table. When I mulch with chips in the spring, I usually give the underlying soil a healthy coating of organic ferilizer powder first. Chips are fine on their own, but only for slow-growing ornamentals. Don't be mulching your maters with woodchips if there's and chance they will be rotting along side the crop.

Never used spent malt for propogation, but it would be a fun experiment. Probably need some gypsum. A lot of mycellium is pretty hardy if you noc enough and give the right temp and humidity.

Logs or stumps for the shiitake? I cultivate a small amount for personal consumption using enriched cased wood chips or straw bags depending on what else I'm growing.

Yea I knew about the N% I in wood chips, still shocked at what brewer's grain contains!

Gypsum is a staple I use almost too often lol I don't think I have used brewer's grain without it

Yea the brewer's grain improves texture and adds carbohydrates but anything I use as an additive, I use as spawn, it helps inoculation times/recovery and I don't need an extra 50lbs of rye/wheat/other grain to use as spawn each rotation!

What and where do you hunt?

Willsolvem said:
Just so I understand your question, your asking why mushroom mycelium (mold) won't grow on a antibacterial substrate? Lmao yea they inhibit the growth of mycilum of every known saprophytic strain (mushroom making mold) on earth

Mushrooms (mycelium) is not a mold, it is a fungus.

Willsolvem said:
FYI: I use the grain as a additive for the mushroom substrate for its texture and simple carbohydrates. You CANNOT fruit mushrooms off spent grains alone, the brewing process strips the already cracked grain of most if its nutriance, has anyone left spent grain outside and find it grew mushrooms? You can use the spent grain as spawn, a way of talking mycilum (mushroom mold) and dispersing it in a bulk substrate (which differs from strain to strain). The only mushroom to be cultivated from spent gains (which are soaked in composting tea to supply nutriance back to the grain) are pscilocybe cubensis (magic mushrooms) which are illegal to cultivate in the states without a permit.

Unless of course you are growing oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus) which will grow on anything cellulose and requires almost no other nutrients to produce fruiting bodies. I have grown them on a role of toilet paper before!

Will, I'd love to be able to help out, but I'm a little further than a 30 minute drive from Manchester (closer to 45 or 50). That said, I'll reach out to the members of my brew club - we're pretty spread out, there's a good chance we've got someone close enough to make it worth your while. I'll let you know if we come up with anything...

stratslinger said:
Will, I'd love to be able to help out, but I'm a little further than a 30 minute drive from Manchester (closer to 45 or 50). That said, I'll reach out to the members of my brew club - we're pretty spread out, there's a good chance we've got someone close enough to make it worth your while. I'll let you know if we come up with anything...

I REALLY appreciate it!!

SpaceJunk said:
Unless of course you are growing oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus) which will grow on anything cellulose and requires almost no other nutrients to produce fruiting bodies. I have grown them on a role of toilet paper before!

I use the spent grain as an additive for more difficult and expensive mushrooms, once done fruiting I resterilize the substrate and inoculate with oyster mycelium, I get no points for recycling substrates in this way, harvesting 2-3 mushroom varieties off of the same substrate, oysters will grow on almost anything, hell amateurs have grown them on toilet paper rolls... Lmao

Willsolvem said:
I use the spent grain as an additive for more difficult and expensive mushrooms, once done fruiting I resterilize the substrate and inoculate with oyster mycelium, I get no points for recycling substrates in this way, harvesting 2-3 mushroom varieties off of the same substrate, oysters will grow on almost anything, hell amateurs have grown them on toilet paper rolls... Lmao

Obviously you are sensitive to others contradicting your "gospel". I will bow out and let you bask in your limelight Master Debater.

I found this thread and hoping to give it a try. I have read Stamets Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms. I have had success in the past with a portabella kit, and with PF Tek in jars. I am interested in trying oyster and shiitake mushrooms, on a small home scale for personal consumption, and maybe drying a few extras to save for later.

I see spent barley grain is a good supplement to wheat straw. At the end of a typical 5 gallon brew, I have 8-10 lbs of pasteurized spent cracked barley grain available. Can I mix that with some wheat straw and stuff the mix into those polypropylene column bags? What would be a good ratio? What's the best way to innoculate? Buy spawn from Fungi Perfecti? I would like to avoid buying/building a HEPA room or glove box. If I start from a spore print or syringe, won't I need a sterile glove box at least?

As far as colonizing the substrate, and fruiting, I live in the desert, so it is hot and dry here. Not ideal for mushrooms. Is there some way to build a temperature-controlled cooler to induce fruiting of the various mushrooms strains? I know there is one guy who grows oyster locally but he has a climate-controlled shed.

Back