First and second runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
Ever since going AG, I have always attached a length of tubing to the valve on my mash tun while draining the first and second runnings into my brew pot. It was intended to avoid splashing and foam and potential HSA. Since the general consensus is that HSA is not a concern to 5-gallon batch homebrewers, can't I just open up the valve and let 'er rip into my brew pot?

Does it really take that much effort to have the hose in place?

I am not willing to go though all the effort and time invested to just let 'er rip. jmo

Bull

Someone mentioned to me recently that having a hose on the end helped to maintain the flow, that often folks think they have stuck sparges when in reality they aren't using hoses on their valves and not getting a good siphon.

Someone mentioned to me recently that having a hose on the end helped to maintain the flow, that often folks think they have stuck sparges when in reality they aren't using hoses on their valves and not getting a good siphon.

I was under the impression that you didn't want much suction, because it would compress the grain bed. Obviously there is some middle ground... but where?

I tend to not use a hose and have no problems.

I always use tubing, but it's because I've always had a very slow amount of runnings if I don't. I'm not worried about HSA, but without a bit of siphon, my MLT doesn't seem to want to drain.

i use a hose to prevent splashing, but in regards to suction, the more connections that are present the more the opportunity for air to get in and create bubbles, causing the pump to stop.

I use a hose for two reasons. #1 - It helps create the suction needed to get the last few cups of wort out of the mash tun. #2 - Splashing it into the BK cools it down which means it takes longer to reach a boil and wastes more propane.

Back