Temperature ranges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buktwild

Reaction score
I have three places for storage or fermentation.
1)My upstairs flat that stays generally in the mid 60s,

2)the garage half of the basement which might get down into the low 40s or even high 30s, and

3)the 'heated' half of the basement which gets a lot of daily fluctuation but won't get above 55 and certainly won't get below 40.

Is there a particular type of brew that would benefit from the 50 degree area of the basement?

So far, I;ve done basic room temperature fermentation, cold crashed to stop the process and then racked off for storage in the fridge.
But I have read anecdotes about controlling the fermentation temps contributing to a better beer. Also, in my beginners ignorance I've gotten the impression that there are beers I could ferment in the cooler but hospitable areas of my basement during these winter months.

Any advice?

In 2 and 3 I don't think ale yeast would do too much and in 1 you might want to cool the wort a bit for ale.

B

Lagers need 48-52 degrees to ferment in, so it sounds like you're perfectly set up for lagers except you can't have such big temperature fluctuations. You could try a water bath in a cooler or in your fermenter, and check the temperature of that to see if the temperature of the liquid fluctuates much. If it doesn't you'd be all set. If it does, you could try a water bath or insulation or another method to keep the temperature from fluctuating in the fermenter.

Low-mid 60s is perfect for ales.

great... I think you've told me exactly what I was wanting to know. And the water bath is a great suggestion.- I can see where that could really stabilize things.

Back