Forgot to add Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
One of those hectic brewing days with too many things going on. Totally spaced adding the 1 LB of latctose.

I brewed a Milk Chocolate Oatmeal stout without the Milk!

So its been fermenting for about 6 hours before I caught my mistake. Forget about it and let it do its thing or is there a way to add the lactose in the secondary?

I guess I could sanatize it by boiling it with some water and drop it into secondary after fermentation is done?

Any suggestions?

I don't even bother boiling, personally - I've never gotten an infection from additions to the secondary. But you can boil it if you want to.

But yeah, it's no problem. You may even want to taste it first before adding, just to see if it really needs it.

I would boil it with some water before you add it just to make sure it dissolves completely. But adding it any time isn't going to have much effect because lactose isn't fermentable anyways. You could probably even add it with your priming sugar when you bottle without any bad effects.

Phew ok thanks guys. I made this one for my wife. when I told her I messed up she said... Well go on that blog your on 24/7 and ask for some help!

Back