Watch the making of Sierra Nevada's 2009 Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score

Anyone seen this? I had no idea Sierra Nevada used open fermentation on their Bigfoot Barleywine. Do any of the clones take that into consideration?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody? I am interested in trying to brew a clone of this and wanted to know if anyone had successfully done an open fermentation with this. They had a recipe for Bigfoot in BYO a few issues back.

I would do open fermentation at your own peril. Sierra Nevada can do it because they keep those rooms extremely sanitary and probably have controls on what air goes into that room if any. They also pitch the right amount of yeast so that fermentation occurs very quickly.

I would do open fermentation at your own peril. Sierra Nevada can do it because they keep those rooms extremely sanitary and probably have controls on what air goes into that room if any. They also pitch the right amount of yeast so that fermentation occurs very quickly.

True, I never realized they could even control what air came in those rooms, that's pretty crazy.

that was cool, thanks for sharing

No problem, I thought it was really neat to see the process. Also, when I first watched it, I didn't realize they didn't mind the yeast overflowing and was thinking how close it was getting to the edge. Then, it overflowed... lol.

Hey I've got a fermenter just like that... one that spills over onto the floor I mean ;)

Back